Problems Ranging GSP

Nicholson

Problems Ranging GSP

Post by Nicholson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:49 pm

I have a 1.5 year old GSP- I started him last fall on farmed chukars and he ranged 20-30 yards, on par with my expectations. I shot a few birds and he retrieves well but during this fall I haven't been able to get him out in front of me enough to find birds on his own. I know he just needs some confidence but I can't figure out how to give it to him.

He isn't really gun-shy but I feel like whenever we aren't hunting and just hiking he has lots of drive to sniff out birds and he ranges well in front of me. When we're hunting he sticks close to me and when I shoot he stays next to me until I tell him to retrieve... He's extremely birdy when we aren't hunting but once we are hunting he's just no that into it.

Any help or ideas is much appreciated.

Winchey

Re: Problems Ranging GSP

Post by Winchey » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:25 pm

He is gunshy

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Winchey wrote:He is gunshy
+1
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

nldd

Post by nldd » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:33 pm

+2,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck :cry:

KellyM87

Post by KellyM87 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:46 pm

+3 on Gunshy.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:51 pm

You need to find a pro who can evaluate your dog and help with your situation.

Doug

Nicholson

Post by Nicholson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:08 pm

What do you guys think the prognosis is being gun-shy at his age? I'm sure that the outcome of professional training at this point is on a case-by-case basis but I don't even know what to expect or hope for? How much could training potentially cost and who should I trust to take him to?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:37 pm

At this stage I would think you would have little problem getting him over it What he is showing is what I call gun sensitive and you need to get it corrected before it gets worse. Stop shooting over the dog till you can get him really excited and at least 50 to 100 yds away before you ever start again. If he was hunting 20 yds from you and you shoot a bird he didn't point he probably got startled. If he was truely gunshy he wouldn't come back to you, walk with you, or stay ing the field with you while you are carrying a gun. But it is a aerious warning that you better get it fixed if you want the dog to work for you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:18 pm

ezzy333 wrote:At this stage I would think you would have little problem getting him over it What he is showing is what I call gun sensitive and you need to get it corrected before it gets worse. Stop shooting over the dog till you can get him really excited and at least 50 to 100 yds away before you ever start again. If he was hunting 20 yds from you and you shoot a bird he didn't point he probably got startled. If he was truely gunshy he wouldn't come back to you, walk with you, or stay ing the field with you while you are carrying a gun. But it is a aerious warning that you better get it fixed if you want the dog to work for you.

Ezzy
Exactly! This dog is not gun shy. Anybody who has seen a gun shy dog would know the difference. This gun sensitive problem should be fairly easy to over come but, as Ezzy said, you need to correct it now.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Where are you located, state ,city? Someone close may be able to help. :)

Nicholson

Post by Nicholson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:01 pm

I'm in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I think the breeder may end up being a great resource and I plan on contacting them to see what they think and if they know of any local trainers that can help me. The breeder is Snowcreek Shorthairs out of Eugene, Oregon.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:At this stage I would think you would have little problem getting him over it What he is showing is what I call gun sensitive and you need to get it corrected before it gets worse. Stop shooting over the dog till you can get him really excited and at least 50 to 100 yds away before you ever start again. If he was hunting 20 yds from you and you shoot a bird he didn't point he probably got startled. If he was truely gunshy he wouldn't come back to you, walk with you, or stay ing the field with you while you are carrying a gun. But it is a aerious warning that you better get it fixed if you want the dog to work for you.

Ezzy
+2. This dog is not gunshy, he just doesn't associate the loud bang with a pleasant experience (a bird). When a dog is gunshy, they turn into a quivering mass at your feet or you may pick up a bolting one a mile or more down the road. This dog merely needs a proper introduction done.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:21 pm

There are lots of threads on here about what to do, do a search. A pro who has successfully cured it on a number of occasions is your best bet if you are willing to fork over the dough. First off you need a pile of birds and you need to get him to the point where he will travel through the depths of heck to get that bird before you bring any type of bang into the equation. I have a rescue who is pretty much the same as yours, I worked hard on him with no success. I gave up on him because even if he wasn't gun shy he wouldn't make a particularly good gun-dog anyhow. I may tackle it again now that I finally have homers but still have doubts I can cure it. Gunshy or gunsensitive, it is not an easy road but you have nothing to loose and everything to gain so good luck.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:37 pm

This dog merely needs a proper introduction done
From what I read, this should be all that is necessary.

Good luck,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Mollyontherun

Re: check cord?

Post by Mollyontherun » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Any help or ideas is much appreciated
1. Plant a bird(s), and use a long check cord and let the dog find the bird.

2. Plant a bird(s) and let someone else carry a gun while you handle the dog on a check cord. Don't shoot bird.

3. Plant a bird(s) and let someone else carry the gun while you handle the dog on a check cord. Shoot bird.

#3 Worked for my GSP who acted almost the same way, but you might want to go slower and start with #1 or #2. The check cord was all that was needed to give Molly security and confidence. After only one hunt with a check cord... she was "on the run".

4. If not already... keep socializing in various settings so the dog so it gains confidence in new settings.

5. Stay patient and calm. Don't panic. Dogs can be fixed when owned and trained by thoughtful caring people. Some dogs take longer to start hunting.

Best wishes to you and your dog.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:42 am

I had a gun shy GSP once. He was a one bird wonder. He would seek out the bird, hold a solid point, get ooohs and awwws while doing it. Walk up flush and shoot. Then you had to go to the truck to find him. He would be under it looking around the tire at you.

Your pup is on its way to gun shy but not there yet. With a little work he should be fine.

Joe

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Get some pigeons and get this dog bird crazy before you shoot around him. Sounds like he needs some confidence and only birds and lots of them will make him bolder. If you want to salvage this pup, put the gun away for awhile.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:48 pm

When you hunt do you use an E Collar? I have a GSP that was a give away (FREE). If you use an ECOLLAR on him he'll stick to you like glue. He'll wear the ECOLLAR out of the box and range out 100 yds and beyond but once you use the ECOLLAR he's at 40 yd tops. He's coming around and learned there's more than one way to avoid the ecollar. What I'm saying is could he be collar wise and sticking close is his default ( avoidance to the ecollar)