Wild Bird Hunting in North Carolina

Meatballs

Wild Bird Hunting in North Carolina

Post by Meatballs » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:03 am

I have been unable to find any info on how good wild bird hunting is in North Carolina. I have been offered a job in TN and NC and have to give a decision next week. Anyone have insight to wild birds and hunting in NC?

powerg

Re: Wild Bird Hunting in North Carolina

Post by powerg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:55 pm

What part of north Carolina would you be moving to. I live just south of Raleigh. I am new to bird hunting in nc. There aren't a lot of wild birds in my area but I am able to hunt the Ft Bragg game lands. There are some birds on Bragg but you have to work for them

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:41 am

The quail aren't what they used to be, but there are still huntable numbers of grouse and from time to time you can move woodcock in the high mountain valleys...but you have to walk.

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:25 am

I am moving to the Asheville area. I dont mind the walking at all. I love the fitness associated with bird hunting. I dont mind traveling to the Fort Bragg area to hunt birds either. I am retired military. I have a Draht that holds a point until Jesus comes back...always allows me to get close for shots. I dont always do my job of hitting the bird though.