Anyone having any luck in NM?

trojanman

Anyone having any luck in NM?

Post by trojanman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:49 pm

I hunt mostly in southeast NM and with the dry weather we had this year the quail are not so plentiful this year. I almost dont even want to hunt them at all with these numbers I'm seeing around here. Are any other NM hunters having any more luck than me? Maybe my spots just arent good this year.

codym

Re: Anyone having any luck in NM?

Post by codym » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:43 am

No it's a terrible year. I have a few areas that are holding birds but I'm not shooting any quail this year. I wish NM game and fish would lower the bag limits when we have down years like this. There is no need to shoot 15 quail in a day every season, it just makes it that much harder for them to rebound the next year. I have friends in West Tx's, the panhandle, and Az and they are all reporting terrible years as well. Pray for rain in the spring and summer I guess. Where are you located?

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:59 am

I haven't been out yet, this year. Last year's spots were down a lot or totally absent of birds. Pray for spring and summer rain.
Living large in the Southwest.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:01 am

Hunting in Armstrong County, Texas this weekend I walked about 9 miles over two days and found three coveys of about 8-10 quail, shot in the air to build desire in the young dog. Sad to train these dogs, find a sweet lease and spend all this money only to have the drought of the decade. If it doesn't rain this spring, I'm going to buy some plott hounds and start hog hunting.

Idylwyld

Post by Idylwyld » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:54 pm

trojanman wrote:I hunt mostly in southeast NM and with the dry weather we had this year the quail are not so plentiful this year. I almost dont even want to hunt them at all with these numbers I'm seeing around here. Are any other NM hunters having any more luck than me? Maybe my spots just arent good this year.
Its a tough year. Im finding a few, but Im running dogs off horseback and covering some ground to do it. Moved 4 covies in about 3 hours Saturday. I dont hunt singles. Mixture of private and state trust land on top of the caprock.

GnM

Post by GnM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 pm

I have found a few covies with decent numbers of birds, but they are few, and far between. You really have to get out and wear out some leather to find them. I have only hunted the covies once and only shot about 1 or 2 birds out of them. The numbers last year were low, and are even lower this year. I sure hope we get some moisture this spring.

Idylwyld

Post by Idylwyld » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 pm

GnM wrote:I have found a few covies with decent numbers of birds, but they are few, and far between. You really have to get out and wear out some leather to find them. I have only hunted the covies once and only shot about 1 or 2 birds out of them. The numbers last year were low, and are even lower this year. I sure hope we get some moisture this spring.

Im with you on the moisture. We need it!!!!

I dont shoot many birds anymore. If I am working puppies or young dogs I will shoot a few. Mostly, I blank the finds and collar the dog away.

I do shoot birds while Im in N Dakota. I usually manage to find an excuse to stay at least thru opening week of Sharptail and Huns in Mid September.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:13 am

We had my kids youth deer hunt in unit 17. I was all over water canyon, the box, tigler ranch, springtime campground. Didn't see one quail. I wasn't running my dogs though. I am however seeing quail in spots that did not have that many or any quail before. I am not shooting them though. I am sorry not to give specific spots as to where they are. Populations low and i have seen too many covey blasters from their truck window. I go out duck hunting and never fail to see people driving the ditches with shooters in the bed. One guy even had a bench seat up against the tailgate facing forward for dove season.

codym

Post by codym » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 am

I see this crap to gotpointers. I hate when I hear someone say they got a skillet shot and killed a bunch of birds on the ground. I guess some people don't get it and never will.

Petroplex Hunter

Post by Petroplex Hunter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:30 pm

I hunt throughout the Permian Basin. This season has been brutal, not may birds and very small coveys. I've been chasing a few blues on the edge of town but haven't shot any birds; can't bring myself to it.

Cy -- Glad to bump in to you on here, I'll shoot you a message on FB.

Gotpointers, I've got a pup out of CH Phantom's Wizard that is coming along nicely, likes to run big. How long have you had your Phantom dogs?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Gotpointers, I've got a pup out of CH Phantom's Wizard that is coming along nicely, likes to run big. How long have you had your Phantom dogs?[/quote]
I have i think about four out of wizard, you won't go wrong With a pup from dan. I have 9 from him and happy with them all. Who's the dam of your pup?

Petroplex Hunter

Post by Petroplex Hunter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:32 am

The dam is Phantom's Funseekin Babe.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 am

Funseeking babe is one of the newer females i don't have any dogs from, with a national champion being her sire i bet she's a good one. Then with wizard on the top side you should have a pup that does great for what we need out here a tough wild bird dog.

GnM

Post by GnM » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Any of you guys going to have any EP litters in the future? I currently own two GSP's but am thinking about getting an EP. Would like one from parents who hunt our country.

Petroplex Hunter

Post by Petroplex Hunter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:36 pm

GnM wrote:Any of you guys going to have any EP litters in the future? I currently own two GSP's but am thinking about getting an EP. Would like one from parents who hunt our country.

Call Dan at Phantomkennels.com out of Abiline -- He's got several upcoming litters. Many of his dogs are chasing wil birds across W. Texas and NM.

codym

Post by codym » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Try Mark Gonzales at Wrangler Kennels here in cruces. He's got some nice EP's that make nice foot hunting dogs, can't go wrong with anything out of his jojo bitch!

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 am

GnM wrote:Any of you guys going to have any EP litters in the future? I currently own two GSP's but am thinking about getting an EP. Would like one from parents who hunt our country.
I have three male pups i can't keep even though i would like to, one is from phantoms southern sky, two from phantoms sundancer. The stud is little less snow.
I have just bought some direct off spring from blackhawk, white powder, honky tonk attitude, guardrail, sammie and a bunch of others that i am sorting through now and will breeding this summer. Pm me here for more information on the three males.