Last minute pheasant fun.

Munster

Last minute pheasant fun.

Post by Munster » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:32 pm

We took the dogs out for a last minute hunt this weekend. We started out just going for the day and ended up making a weekend out of it.
We have a young dog that we have been trying to make the "wild" bird connection with. He is great on training birds and preserve birds, but we wanted him to learn a little more.
Our goal has always been to shoot only pointed birds.So far it has been either he would push the birds to flush or he would hold point and we would miss the bird for him. This time the stars alighned! Max went on point and Jim walked about 60 yards to him. Bird flushed and the rest is Pheasant tacos!

This was the only bird taken from this location.

Our next location we ran into more birds. There were plenty of points to go around. Most of the birds that we came across were hens. We worked some heavy cover. At one point Max was on point and after searching for the bird with no flush, I tried to relcate him. Max wouldnt move! I tried again and laso searched again and Max was still a statue!

This went on for about 5 mins. I finally urged him forward and he lunged into the cover only to pull out a hen! There was definatly something wrong with her. SHe had no tail feathers to speak of. Max was sent on and the hen was replaced in her hiding spot.

We had a nice point on our female, Max then came around for the honor! (If you look really close Jim is standing in between both dogs.) Wouldnt you know that is was a hen! Look to the left side of the picture and you will see the hen flushing. Thought it was kinda neat, wish I would have centered it but I didnt know it was going to happen that way.

Here was one of points on a rooster. We werent able to close the deal for him. I had moved into take the picture and when the bird flushed, I called it a hen!!!!! It was a rooster and by the time Jim realized it, the bird was out of range.

Just a picture of Max with his bird coming out of the field.

All in all it was a great weekend. We bagged 2 birds, but we had plenty of chances at others. Like I said before, either they werent pointed, we missed or they were hens.

Both dogs got some good work done and we will maybe get out one more time before closing.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

rkappes

Re: Last minute pheasant fun.

Post by rkappes » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Awesome lookin' dogs, thanks for sharing!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Nice pics. thanks for sharing.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:39 am

Nice pics. Thanks for posting them for us to see.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Like the looks of your dog. Stylish point.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Cool looking dogs!

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks for the posts. We had a great time. Suppose to go out for the last day tomorrow but now I have to track a deer. :oops:
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.