Iowa Glory Days

rkappes

Iowa Glory Days

Post by rkappes » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Not the best photo as it’s a photo of a photo, so the quality is poor. We used to head down to Iowa at least once a year to hunt. I believe this was the last year I made the trip.

This photo and two others my parents had enlarged, framed and gave to me for Christmas. Probably the best gift I’ve ever received. We were all a bit choked up after I opened them.

I’m the skinny/young lad in the middle, high school years, now there is enough for two of me.

My father is on the far right (gray zipped hoodie) with our first Brittany, call name ‘Britt’, clever I know!

Sure was fun watching them four britts hunt, gosh could they cover some ground and find birds!

Anyway, just thought I would share. I feel blessed to have such a great family and a father as a best friend.

Vision

Re: Iowa Glory Days

Post by Vision » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:38 pm

I asked my 20 year old nephew who lives in Madrid Iowa, if he had gone pheasant hunting this season the other day. His response.......why would I want to shoot the last pheasant in Iowa. Pretty much sums it up for many parts of the US

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm

I remember those days. In the grand scheme, they weren't that long ago...15-20 yrs.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 am

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:I remember those days. In the grand scheme, they weren't that long ago...15-20 yrs.
You're right...I believe the photo about was from 1996. Amazing how things can change so fast.

By the way, nice lookin' dogs. I really like the look of your dog Bella.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:06 pm

I went to Iowa in 1995 on opening weekend. Three of us shot our limits of pheasants and several quail both days we hunted. We hunted over pointers and finished early both days.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:15 pm

I have a good friend that lives in SW Iowa, for us the glory days ended about 5 years ago. Haven't been since, my buddy also says he doesn't want to shoot the last pheasant in Iowa.

Royce

Post by Royce » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:53 am

I have hunted Iowa for over 30 years. I found the people and the birds to very receptive in the earlier 70's and 80's. Times change. I would like to live long enough to make one more memorable trip to this great place. It seemed the colder the weather the warmer the people. I wonder which is more profitable more corn in the tank or more boots on the ground.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 pm

It was easy to see why bird numbers have declined. Went to a NAVHDA test in Iowa last October, while driving from friends house to test I noticed there was no cover anywhere. It was as if the whole area had been scalped. Asked my buddy if a law was passed making it illegal to plant grass in Iowa. :mrgreen:

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 am

I think its my fault about the bird numbers.==================> I got bird dogs. :lol: