Best gun for Chukar huntin ?

pumatom

Best gun for Chukar huntin ?

Post by pumatom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Looking for a new gun, what do you guys like ?
Action and brand, 12, 20, 28 gauge.

ST8 UPPOINTERS

Re: Best gun for Chukar huntin ?

Post by ST8 UPPOINTERS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Auto, 20. Something lite.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:50 pm

20 gauge over-under.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Any Beretta auto in 12 or 20.
Over and unders are to heavy for me to pack all day, pumps I just don't like.
I have several diffrent kind of auto's and my personal favorites are the Beretta's. They are rugged, will take abuse and keep on cycling. Can't say that about others I own.

Benny

Post by Benny » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Gertie wrote:20 gauge over-under.
+1...they're light, and you'll never get more than a second shot at one of those buggers anyhow :D

My go-to-gun is the remington spartan 20ga (bakal manufactured). It was dirt cheap, and it has taken all the abuse I've dished out. If you chukar hunt in country like we do, you won't want to take anything expensive up there because you'll likely be shoving it between rocks to pull yourself over the next cliff.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:55 pm

I shoot a 20 ga Bennelli Montefeltro. Double guns get banged up....and every few coveys will have some delayed flushes where I dont move my feet and blaze away...5 or6 shots. No plugs in Nevada ..

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 pm

+1 on the Bennelli I have an M2 20 and 12

Benny

Post by Benny » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Call me crazy but I've never been a big Bennelli fan. I never could adopt the feel of those things, but I truly have always like the look. Kind of like my feeling for the browning a-bolt, always pined after them until I had one in my hand and went running back to my rem 700 with my tail tucked :D

These "best shotgun" questions seem to pop up quite frequently and I think the winning response is always "whatever feels best." Especially with chukar, it must be quick, light, and eventually become an extension of your arm. In the opinions of others, a mossberg home defender might be a lousy bird gun, but hey if that's what puts them on the ground...so be it :lol:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

pointer26

Post by pointer26 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 pm

I would recommend a Yildiz 20gauge o/u. its a cheap gun but it sure looks nice and goes bang,bang. I have not had any problems with mine.
they cost about $400.00 dollars.
my gun weighs about 5 1/2 lbs. I can carry it all day long. the trade off is the recoil, but when you are hunting you don't feel it.

I find that the 20 with high brass#6 drops chukars dead. I have only had two cripple birds this season. I use to shoot a benneli nova.
I had a really hard time hitting anything with it. the gun was to big for me. I got the yildiz youth model and it was nigh and day. I was hitting just about anything.
My shot improve so much that I only took 12 shells to hunt chukars. besides my dogs its probably the best tool to hunt chukars with.

Thank you
pointer26

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 am

Anything you don't mind getting trashed :lol: :lol:
I have a Montefeltro in 20ga. at 5lbs 6oz I can carry all day. Baretta is about 1lb more. Both great guns.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:07 am

gsp3333 wrote:Anything you don't mind getting trashed :lol: :lol:
I have a Montefeltro in 20ga. at 5lbs 6oz I can carry all day. Baretta is about 1lb more. Both great guns.
My pick is a full auto 12 ga. with a drum clip to go with the rest of my chukar hunting gear which includes a GSP/Mtn. Goat cross and a chair lift :wink:

Vision

Post by Vision » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Benny wrote:
Gertie wrote:20 gauge over-under.
+1...they're light, and you'll never get more than a second shot at one of those buggers anyhow :D

So you like to stand there and watch the 2nd and 3rd wave get up go with an empty gun?

Benny

Post by Benny » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:51 am

Vision wrote: So you like to stand there and watch the 2nd and 3rd wave get up go with an empty gun?
I'm not very familiar with the 2nd and 3rd wave of Chukar where I hunt. I suppose that is something to take into account if you live in an area with exceptional bird numbers. For me, I personally like the O/U, if I felt it was holding me back from my true potential I would take my remi-semi with me. Not an issue though.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

pumatom

Post by pumatom » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:27 am

fishvik wrote:
gsp3333 wrote:Anything you don't mind getting trashed :lol: :lol:
My pick is a full auto 12 ga. with a drum clip to go with the rest of my chukar hunting gear which includes a GSP/Mtn. Goat cross and a chair lift :wink:
I like your choice of dog, probably great for over the cliff retrieves.
Appreciate the replies, good to know what other guys like for guns.

snowquail

Post by snowquail » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 pm

I have a 20 gauge Beretta 391 semiauto. It shoots well and most of the time I hit things with it. But the safety is easily bumped to fire and I have decided I can no longer hunt safely with it. It is a great skeet gun and it is light but repeatedly finding it off safe in the field is not acceptable. I talked to Beretta about it and they said they never heard of such a problem. The internet forums say otherwise.

I am using a Nova 20 pump for most chukar hunting mainly because it is so tough. I like it but had to have the trigger worked on. Prior to that the trigger pull was not good and the gun sometimes would not fire exactly when I expected it to. The fix was easy for the gunsmith and now the gun is very reliable.

I have hunted chuckar in Idaho with a my old 20 ga winchester 101 O/U, which I like. But two shots only is not best for chukar for me.

it was nice to see this discussion because I was thinking about a Winchester auto I saw in the store the other day. 28" barrel, synthetic stock, should compete with the Berreta and Benelli.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:29 pm

870 wingmaster, old school one.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:50 am

The M2 With Extenda Tube!! You usually have enough for the 3rd wave........ Altough I
shoot a lot more shells now

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:43 pm

gsp3333 wrote:I have a Montefeltro in 20ga. at 5lbs 6oz
Chukar12 wrote:I shoot a 20 ga Bennelli Montefeltro
What length barrels do you guys have on your Montefeltros? Do you ever have any issues with the "Benelli Click"? I have a Montefeltro with a 24 inch barrel and love the gun, except for the occasional click. Thanks Bill

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:17 pm

Use the gun you don't mind carrying. I've used 12's,16's, 20's and today I usually carry my 28. The idea of getting something you don't mind trashing is bogus to me. If you hunt pretty much anything, your gonna get scars, just the way it is. The gun is really just a tool. If you are worried about scratch's, you paid to much.

The though of a double not carrying enough shell's for late flusher's is a silly argument to me also. I guess if your reason for hunting is just to kill all t5he bird's you can, fast as you can, then you just might need an auto or pump. Most states that I'm aware of require those be plug'ed to hold three shots. A person with a double and auto ejectors can get off four shot's faster than a shooter with an auto, probably get off six faster. But for me the hunt is more about watching my dogs, I love watching them go. I love coming over a hill and finding one on point. There were lots of time's in the past when all I carried was my blank gun. This past weekend all we carried was camera's, had a great time. Times I have carried the gun, I do not shoot singles unless it's a broke up covey.

Get the gun you can afford in the ga you'd like. 12, 16, 20, and 28 all work very well. 28ga field shell's around here when you can find them run about $17 a box. 16 ga are easy to find around here and about all you can get is 1 oz of #6 shot, they usually run about $5 a box and everyone carries them just before bird season's start. 12's I also loaded myself. 1 1/8th oz of #6 shot at about 1200fps. I've never been at a disadvange with those loads. 20 ga are also everywhere, I loaded them too so haven't noticed prices. Only factory shell's I buy are 28ga target loads. Make good quail loads and I reload the hull's for field load's. I also by 16's loaded as field loads and reload the hulls.

What ever you get, if you don't like looking at it and handling it, you've wasted your money. I have had a number of SxS's over the years, most I paid for one was $500 for a used Bernadelli Roma III. Beautiful gun. I've used a Charles Daly SxS, a Stevens SxS and four AYA SxS's, they are Matadors. I also have an Ithica mod 37 FW pump in 16ga.

Bottom line is get something that appeals to you and if it get's scratched, it's part of the hunt. If you can onlyu shoot two bird's at a time, you really are not at a disadvantage, you just might get to hunt longer.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:41 pm

I've also looking for a new chukar gun.

Thinking of getting.
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/upland-ultralight/
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:45 pm

My pick would be a Remington 1100-LT Special Field 20 Gauge or the one that fits you the best.
Tom

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:43 pm

Troy08er wrote:I've also looking for a new chukar gun.

Thinking of getting.
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/upland-ultralight/

I looked at those as well but could not decide if I wanted ejectors or extractors

So here is what I am looking at in the future in a 20 ga w/26"

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/red ... xe-103-de/

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:36 am

Billinsd
My Benelli has a 26'' barrel and never had a click issue. Second season with it and have yet to do a major teardown to clean it. Just like my Beretta every time you pull the trigger it goes bang.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 am

Red Label 20

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 pm

I like something that i am not afraid to scratch,dent, scrape etc...also something that i shoot well as in my opinion chukars are some of the toughest birds to hit in the west due to the distance flushes often come from and the tendency to fly at odd angles downhill fast which is opposite from most birds which rise.
Pumps always make good sense to me...a ithaca 16 gauge would be a sweet chukar gun.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:05 pm

i use the cz upland light for pheasant hunting, and i can tell you that it is light and fast. It is not a browning or a ruger, but it is decently made and besides the marks from falling off the truck it has stayed in really good shape this year.

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:59 am

It depends on your age. I'm 22 so the whole weight and kick of the gun I could care less about. 12 gauge with 28" barrel = dead birds. Why go any smaller walmart has loads that are the same price in 12 and 20 gauge more powder and bb's are always the way to go! (I have a Mossberg 838 and benelli supernova)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:16 am

I'm not a fan of O/U's but that CZ is a nice looking gun. Like the 26" barrels! Most of my chukar hunting is off my dog's point. Sometimes they do get up sooner than I'd like, that means, out of range for me. But as long as I get good dog work, I don't really care much. The only auto loader I like you'd have to buy used if you could find one. Browning double-auto. Other than that one auto, I wouldn't own one. I did pump's in my early years, Mostly Mossberg 500's but a couple Rem 870's also. Now I still have one pump but haven't used it in a lot of years. Ithica mod 37 FW in 16ga. Been thinking I should take it out training this year.

An upland bird gun should be fairly light, especially in chukar country. Shooting over pointing dog's, it should point fast and pointing is a better quality than swing for me on upland birds. Normally shot's are right off the dog's nose. On my doubles, I like extractor's but all my doubles now have ejectors. I don't care about getting off two more going away shots, I'd rather my hulls never touch the ground. That's just a thing I picked up from rifle shooting. The ground doesn't do a thing to them that can't normally be cleaned off but just jacking MTY's out of a rifle, I've had those I couldn't find, I hate losing a shell. This is nothing more than a habit. With ejectors I hold my right hand over the barrels as I open the gun and the MTY hull's come right into my hands.

Loads. I always used 1 1/8th oz of either 7 1/2's or 6's. Used to run into pheasant's while chukar hunting and the 7 1/2's were giving a lot of cripples. My loads were also target loads with hunting size shot. 1200fps was about it. If you get your gun up, the birds cannot out fly the shot. I don't shoot beyond about 30+/- yds, I'm not good enough! 1 1/8th oz loads were my 12ga load, in 16ga I use 1 oz loads, in 20 ga it was 7/8th oz and in 28 it is 3/4oz loads. All pretty common if you don't reload and all mild shooting.

To trigger 1989, you don't mind weight and recoil because your 22. At some point in your life you'll appreciate lighter, softer recoiling guns. Have a blast at what your doing now! :D
Last edited by DonF on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:53 am

deke wrote:i use the cz upland light for pheasant hunting, and i can tell you that it is light and fast. It is not a browning or a ruger, but it is decently made and besides the marks from falling off the truck it has stayed in really good shape this year.
Thanks for the review. I have the CZ Mallard 20 ga .double trigger and really it.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Well if you haven't pick up your new Chukar gun yet than I wouldn't get in a big hurry. Season's over in most places. So I would start looking and start SHOOTING a lot of guns and I would pattern every one that I tried out. I would bet that 90% of shotgunners that hunt don't do this. With the exception of turkey hunters. As far as type of gun that's your choice. Gauge? I use a 12 for the simple reason that you can get any load you want, from real,real lite to real heavy. Length of barrel? I use 28" most of the time. Chukars can be hard to hit, let alone bring down so you need to shoot alot. I've heard it said " If you have only put a 1000 rounds thru your gun, you just met ". Weight of the gun ? I am able to track a bird , I think , better with a heavier gun. That being said, get one that you can put a sling on cause when your headed back to the truck with all them birds you can through it over your shoulder . Have fun buying a gun , cause you'll hate Chukar hunting :mrgreen: . Dan