water in chukar areas?

BIGINNER

water in chukar areas?

Post by BIGINNER » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:48 am

i always hear peopl talk about chukar habitat, and they always say that for chukars to exsist in an area there needs to be a water source. my question is,.. how close to water? are the rain collector things (water guzlars??) considered a water source? theres alot of places i want to check out around my place and i'm just wondering if its a waste of time. there's no river or lake or any water sources very close, but there are plenty of rain collectors scattered through the area.

Dirtysteve

Re: water in chukar areas?

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 am

Some of the places I hunt I have never found any water source and there is alot of chukars. I read a study that said some chukars get all the moisture they need from wild onion bulbs and green leafy things they eat.
Yes Chukars will use guzzlars.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:39 pm

To start with you will find the most birds within 1 mile of water.

The real problem is that there are more sources of water that you will ever see; such as seeps or springs.

I was supprised to find so many seeps after a wild fire exposed them.

Depending on the locations different type of trees or plants will indicate water.

Studing plants and the terrain for different animal or bird habitate is much like fishing. You need to learn the structure.

Of course you could always take a Lab, because they seem to smell water from a long ways off. I had a black Lab that would come back soaking wet in the middle to the desert:-)

Also chukar will move around (mostly in elevation) once there is some weather (rain or snow) and not need to be real close to big water.

Finding the honey hole is part of the fun.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:38 am

It has been my experience chukar hunting near water is the best tactic early in the season. Hunting around a water source mid day in the early season can be awesome. Ofcourse that also means packing water for self and accepting wet muddy dogs when they decide to get a drink and take a swim/roll in the water source. After fall rains chukars will be more spread out and will use water pooled on rocks and such and by winter they will look for blown off ridges that might show some early green up.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Tue May 08, 2012 10:41 pm

It seems that they certainly move to water daily when it is hot. I mean, you might find them up top early but then they are gone to water or somewhere in between. I've found that if there is any moisture up top they stay up there. The smallest amount, like frozen dew/frost in the mornings may give them what they need to stay up top. Get out and give it a whirl, you'll figure it out and pattern those coveys soon enough.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 am

I would agree that water is more important early in the season.

Had a chukar research biologist tell me that they can go up to a month with out water when the temps cool down. So, later in the season the water would be less of a need.

brandon

Sierra Wirehair

Post by Sierra Wirehair » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:17 pm

I've found seep three or four feet back under rimrock the birds had dug under to a seepl Only way we found it was the ground looked like a chicken yard with tracks.