Virginia Woodcock Hunters

woodsman

Virginia Woodcock Hunters

Post by woodsman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 pm

I know its the off season, but I was wondering if there were any hunters here that shoot woodcock in the old dominion? I have a GSP that just finished his first year on quail and did great. Now I want to get him on woodcock and hopefully grouse one day. Is there anyone who can give me some pointers on getting on some woodcock in my area and that might want a tag-along next season a few days? I have places to hunt as well and dont mind working my spots (middle peninsula to the mountains) and helping pay the way. Love bird hunting too much to only chase quail!

MATT4126

Re: Virginia Woodcock Hunters

Post by MATT4126 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:17 am

Central Virginia WMA's, and Cumberland State Forest are loaded with woodcock. In fact we had our best year yet, VA finally extended the season a bit and it was hard not to limit most days in 1/2 day. Find water and you will find woodcock. Where I run and train with my dogs we find woodcock year round, but the best time is late October through the end of February.

woodsman

Post by woodsman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:02 am

Great information Matt, I really appreciate it!
Maybe we can get together next season and make a run at them. Thanks again for the information!

Brian

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:41 am

Woodsman,
Be careful and check the Va hunting laws, you might not be allowed to train your gun dogs all year around in the Va forest, can't remember if you can or not.
RGD/Dave

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:08 am

RGD,

You are correct sir, in VA you can't train your dogs during the off season on upland birds. Guess I should have chosen my words more carefully....I train my dogs at the WMA, but not on wild birds. They will sometimes find them as we hike and run the dogs there during the summer months on their groomed trails. Good point and thanks for the clarification.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:33 am

FYI from page 16 of Virginia Hunting laws:
For Training Dogs on Military Bases contact the appropriate base.
Fort AP Hill= 1804-633-8244
Fort Belvoir= 1 703-805-3688
Ft. Pickett= 1 434-292-2618
Quantico = 1 703-784-5523

The training of dogs on live wild animals is considered hunting and is unlawful during the closed season except as noted below:
1) You must have a valid hunting license while training dogs on live wild animals.

2) You may train dogs during daylight hours on rabbits and non-migratory game birds on private lands. Participants shall have no weapon other than starter pistols in their possession and no wild animal shall be taken. Weapons may be in possession when training dogs on captive raised and properly marked mallards and pigeons so they can be immediately shot or recovered, except on Sunday.

3) You may train dogs on National Forest or Department-owned lands only during authorized training seasons that specifically permit these activities.

4) You may train dogs on Quail on designated portions of the Amelia Wildlife Management Area. Chester F. Phelps WMA. Chickahominy WMA and the "bleep" Cross WMA from Sept. 1 to the day prior to the opening date of the Quail hunting season, both dates inclusive. No weapons other than starter pistols may be in possession, and pen raised birds may not be released.

5) Pen raised Quail may be released on private land with the landowners permission. However, birds can only be shot during the regular Quail season. Regular bag limits apply.

6) You may train dogs during daylight hours on rabbits and non-migratory game birds on the Weston WMA from September 1 thru March 31, both dates inclusive. Participants in this dog training season shall have no weapon other than a starter pistol in their possession, shall not release pen raised birds, and must comply with all regulations and laws pertaining to hunting. No game shall be taken.

Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.