Hunting in pa

llewellinsetter

Hunting in pa

Post by llewellinsetter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:43 pm

hey I'm trying to find some private property to hunt on in PA or upstate NY, I really want to get on some wild birds and i would be willing to pay to hunt. Please PM if your willing to lend me your property or know someone i could call to set something up.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

cmc274

Re: Hunting in pa

Post by cmc274 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:20 pm

More public land with wild birds in PA north of I-80 than you can shake a stick at.

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:23 pm

OK ill look into it i am not super fimalilar with that area
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:52 am

Alleghany National Forest... Warren, McKean, or Potter Counties and a slew of State Game Lands to hunt on... also the area around Allegany Park in New York State... Don't hunt any preserves, but let us know if you're coming and we can point you in the right direction for some public land Grouse anyway...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:57 am

I have my own property & access to other private lands but to be perfectly honest we do our best on state (public land) Don't feel like the public land is not as productive as private. I am always checking out new pieces of public land & never feel sorry I did. I feel NY does an excellent job in creating grouse & woodcock habitat.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Is the bird numbers down in MI ??? I try to make the U.P every year....Didn't make last year.
I'll show you around ...Maybe swap hunts... Woodcock?

Grouse hunting down here is alot more work with the terrian...Stickers of all kinds...Green brier,Thorn apples and rose bushes etc.,but that where the birds are.

Hoping for a good hatch!..Birds seem to be nesting already..We ran into a woodcock nest third week of March pulled the dogs..Hope the weather stays like this and we should be good...Hope mother nature stays in a good mood.

My good freind has a PA bred Lew that does a bang up job on grouse...You can meet.

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:31 pm

rschmeider wrote:Is the bird numbers down in MI ??? I try to make the U.P every year....Didn't make last year.
I'll show you around ...Maybe swap hunts... Woodcock?

Grouse hunting down here is alot more work with the terrian...Stickers of all kinds...Green brier,Thorn apples and rose bushes etc.,but that where the birds are.

Hoping for a good hatch!..Birds seem to be nesting already..We ran into a woodcock nest third week of March pulled the dogs..Hope the weather stays like this and we should be good...Hope mother nature stays in a good mood.

My good freind has a PA bred Lew that does a bang up job on grouse...You can meet.
I have never hunted in the UP, i would like to get up there and i haven't checked our bird numbers. I love the rough terrain, its something i miss up here in MI, I want to start planting birds on the land we have. I have a source for birds out here so we could go out and put some birds down and hunt . i leave about 3-4 hours from PA in southeast MI so I dont think there are a ton of wild birds by me but i have seen a few quail here and there, Ill shoot you a PM and maybe we can work something out.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:27 pm

being i have a lot of years in woods here in central pa.here is my opinion.
staegamelands in my opinion have best habitat and worst hunting in state.
truly a worthless day in woods.
stateforestland has so much pressure now that seeing grouse is not a everyday event.
getting one is lot more of challenge too.
but thats fun.
find the part of state that is doing a lot of tree cutting.
call the DCNR and ask which countys have been cutting trees. i am in clinton and very little tree cutting being done.
our grouse numbers are not good here.i know some will say they are but they are not.
pressure on grouse here is unreal in clinton county.
there are times i am hunting and run into 2 sets of hunters after maybe 3 grouse in my spot.
THATS ONLY ONES I SEE, MANY TIMES I DONT SEE EVERYONE.
hawks are nasty,we should be allowed to shoot everyone one we see.

like fishing, i ask fisherman to release a bass, some do, OTHERS WILL TAKE EVERY BASS HOME THEY CATCH. too much killing of grouse in clinton county for number of hunters that hunt small parcels of good habitat that we have.

then throw in hawks ,not much is left.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:57 am

JIM K wrote:being i have a lot of years in woods here in central pa.here is my opinion.
staegamelands in my opinion have best habitat and worst hunting in state.
truly a worthless day in woods.
stateforestland has so much pressure now that seeing grouse is not a everyday event.
getting one is lot more of challenge too.
but thats fun.
find the part of state that is doing a lot of tree cutting.
call the DCNR and ask which countys have been cutting trees. i am in clinton and very little tree cutting being done.
our grouse numbers are not good here.i know some will say they are but they are not.
pressure on grouse here is unreal in clinton county.
there are times i am hunting and run into 2 sets of hunters after maybe 3 grouse in my spot.
THATS ONLY ONES I SEE, MANY TIMES I DONT SEE EVERYONE.
hawks are nasty,we should be allowed to shoot everyone one we see.

like fishing, i ask fisherman to release a bass, some do, OTHERS WILL TAKE EVERY BASS HOME THEY CATCH. too much killing of grouse in clinton county for number of hunters that hunt small parcels of good habitat that we have.

then throw in hawks ,not much is left.
I feel your pain as what you have stated is a problem by where you hunt sounds typical of the NYS deer season however I hardly ever run into other grouse hunters where I hunt here in NY. My fear is when NY introduces the crossbow to the archery season the thing's may change in the grouse woods .

ggrimm

Post by ggrimm » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 am

I think your located in SW PA. near Ligonier,Pa? I'm near 7-Springs. The best bird hunting I have found is to get to know the Pa Game Warden in your area. Find out the places the game commission is stocking ringnecks. They only stock them on public land or private land open to the public. In my area they stock weekly x 4weeks. I know almost every one of his stocking areas and hunt accordingly. Also some of the sportsman clubs in my area stock birds. For an annual dues fee you can also hunt these birds on club ground or wherever they stock them. State gamelands tend to get crowded especially on Saturdays. Hope this helps.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Not sure which of you guys are in Ligonier, I grew up up there. Seven Springs not much further....If you guys wanna get together and look for grouse in the Laurel Highlands, I'd be game....had a tough first season with my shorthair, but we started zoning in one them by the end of the season.

-John