Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas quail numbers rebounding?

Stoneface

Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas quail numbers rebounding?

Post by Stoneface » Thu May 10, 2012 1:26 pm

I've got a friend on another board who lives in Woodward, Oklahoma, near the edge of the panhandle. He's been reporting dismal numbers for years now and passes on reports from his friends all over the region. He's been posting stuff like this.
Talked to friend in South TX yesterday and we used to hunt together here and there. He has suffered thru 26 years of yearly decreases just like us. Has watched #'s drop each year but this spring lookes like 26 years ago with chicks running every where. HOWEVER has 1 major feare and that as summer comes will HOT and DRY be there to get them as their problem is HOT and DRY as plenty of cover and feed.
Ranchersuddenly seeing quiet a few on several sections. Maybe a little hope
and more today from 2 ranches-----maybe looking up
And two more seeing birds
Was wondering if anyone else in Texas, Kansas or Oklahoma could validate what he's saying? What're the numbers looking like for you?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas quail numbers rebounding?

Post by topher40 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Numbers look good, but then again I have always had decent numbers. Guys dont believe me when I say I find at minimum 1 covey per field. I havent seen any chicks running the roads yet, but I know everyone is paired up. Should be a great breeding season! About 3 years ago we had a great breeding season and then had an epic ice storm that killed off the springs bounty. Mother nature is a cruel female dog and has a way of taking away what she gives, just a kfact of life.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 10, 2012 2:52 pm

There was no broodstock for a dramatic recovery.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:23 pm

True, what's happening now is consistent with years past. See the young ones early and then nothing when the season opens.

cr
Cajun Casey wrote:There was no broodstock for a dramatic recovery.
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Fri May 11, 2012 9:28 am

i've talked to a few farmers and 1 wildlife biologist in sw mo that are reporting good numbers so far and i have seen several pairs but i always see several pairs just cant find em come fall, we shall see what the rest of the year brings

Blue Horn

Post by Blue Horn » Fri May 11, 2012 2:54 pm

A buddy of mine here in deep So. Texas has them like rats. They are every where. When we were deer hunting we would see a ton of them come out to the feeders, and this was last fall with the severe draught. I am hearing that the numbers have been pretty good here this spring.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun May 13, 2012 8:11 am

As a Rural Mail Carrier I am seeing more birds this spring than I have in several years on my 80 mile route each day. Hoping it is a sign of good things to come!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun May 13, 2012 12:08 pm

What part of Missouri are you from, Onk?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

stolhma

Post by stolhma » Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Seems the same as last year in my area. I am hoping the for the best...last year had about the same number of covies just smaller covies. Maybe this year we can make some gains. :D
“No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich"

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Was turkey hunting outside of Coldwater,KS last weekend. Heard some coveys calling, seemed to have quite a few birds in them. Not as many as normal, but it could be hard to tell, that was the tallest, thickest, and greenest I have seen the grass in that area since I have been hunting there. Heard quite a few pheasant too. Besides taking a Rio Grande turkey that put on a good show, the best part of the weekend was watching a roadrunner strut, they are funny birds.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm

North Central part
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed May 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Up around Kirksville? You have enough birds up there to grab the dogs and get a few points before supper on a given night?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------