Nebraska rattle snakes

Munster

Nebraska rattle snakes

Post by Munster » Tue May 22, 2012 8:34 pm

A group of us are planning on going to Nebraska again his fall. Last year 2 snakes were run into while on the hunt. Good thing the dogs were well trained enough that the handler got a hold of the dogs.

I need to know what species of rattlers are out there and what and where do you get snake vaccine. My vet has no clue as this is not a probem in Iowa. He said if I find out the whats and wheres he will take care of the rest.

Thanks
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

jwnissen

Re: Nebraska rattle snakes

Post by jwnissen » Tue May 22, 2012 10:10 pm

I did a lot of work in Kansas and we had prairie rattlers there so I am making an educated guess and say they have the same there. This should get you started.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:51 am

I grew up in Oklahoma and spent some time in Nebraska and Kansas and Colorado working for a traveling harvesting crew. I would say the two rattlers that I ever saw were Prairie rattlers and Diamond back's. I don't believe there are any other species. You get a bigger selection of species further west. I would imagine if you contact the nebraska fish and wildlife or search them on the internet you can find out for sure.

Best of luck,

Joe

mm

Post by mm » Wed May 23, 2012 5:53 am

Red Rocks in Ca makes the vaccine and will send single doses to your vet. For first time you have to give shot and then again 30 days later after that once a year. I get it for my dogs every year, thankfully never had a snake bite so I have no firsthand knowalage of how good it is. There are lots of stories out there both good and bad about the shot and the results so you will have to decide for yourself if you want it. You can search Red Rocks on the internet and get the number and call them yourself.
good luck
mm

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 am

The main rattlesnake found in Nebraska is the prairie rattler, a sub species of the western rattler (Crotalus viridis). The extreme southeastern corner of the state also has the massasauga or swamp rattler (Sistrurus catenatus). Both of the these snakes are small and not as aggressive as Mohave or Western diamondbacks, but can still be dangerous to a dog.

reba

Post by reba » Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 am

Call Red Rock Biologics and ask them.

I believe their vaccine only protects against the western diamondback.

I have vaccinated both of my dogs; without any side affects.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed May 23, 2012 9:48 am

What part of the state did you run into those snakes? I used to live in southern Nebraska and never saw a snake. Am planning a trip to central Nebraska and have been told the snake threat is a non event. Got to be prepared, even if you don't think you'll cross a snake, and man I sure hope I don't.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:45 pm

2 months in northern nebraska and never saw a snake.....betting its prairie rattlers Munster.

I had the vet in Nebraska look up that vaccine, seem to remember her telling me they used copperhead to make the vaccine....dunno if thats really true.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu May 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Stoneface wrote:What part of the state did you run into those snakes? I used to live in southern Nebraska and never saw a snake. Am planning a trip to central Nebraska and have been told the snake threat is a non event. Got to be prepared, even if you don't think you'll cross a snake, and man I sure hope I don't.
Stoneface--- I live in eastern NE and we don't have rattlers here. I have ran into 3 rattlers in the central part of the state. One was along the Snake river(in Summer) half way between Hyannis and Merriman. The other 2 (these I killed while grouse hunting in mid Sept.) were on Bessey National Forest--Halsey NE. They were in the sandhill portion of the forest around a prairie dog town. AVOID prairie dog towns, usually have snakes around them. The one snake didn't buzz until I was right beside it. It buzzed, I looked down, it struck but was about a foot short of hitting me. I killed the snake and headed for home---I doubt I could of hit any birds after that--hard to hit something, when you're looking for snakes around your feet :roll: Anyway--I haven't seen many rattlers in NE, but they are there. Good luck. I also have killed 2 porkeys at Halsey forest---only 2 I've seen in the state.

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 am

deseeker wrote:
Stoneface wrote:What part of the state did you run into those snakes? I used to live in southern Nebraska and never saw a snake. Am planning a trip to central Nebraska and have been told the snake threat is a non event. Got to be prepared, even if you don't think you'll cross a snake, and man I sure hope I don't.
Stoneface--- I live in eastern NE and we don't have rattlers here. I have ran into 3 rattlers in the central part of the state. One was along the Snake river(in Summer) half way between Hyannis and Merriman. The other 2 (these I killed while grouse hunting in mid Sept.) were on Bessey National Forest--Halsey NE. They were in the sandhill portion of the forest around a prairie dog town. AVOID prairie dog towns, usually have snakes around them. The one snake didn't buzz until I was right beside it. It buzzed, I looked down, it struck but was about a foot short of hitting me. I killed the snake and headed for home---I doubt I could of hit any birds after that--hard to hit something, when you're looking for snakes around your feet :roll: Anyway--I haven't seen many rattlers in NE, but they are there. Good luck. I also have killed 2 porkeys at Halsey forest---only 2 I've seen in the state.
The lady I was with said she had thought about shooting the rattlers but didnt. She said she didnt want her dogs to think that this was something she wanted to hunt. So she quitly slipped around one snake and pulled one of her dogs off the other.
The snakes werent real aggressive. One was just laying there stretched out, but she said she wasnt going to get close enought o make sure. I guess garters wouldnt be such a bad idea as a just in case. This was in early Oct.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:23 pm

I'd do some research on vaccine and the prairie rattler and see what kind of cross-protection the vaccine provides for it.
I've been told that the vaccine has next to no protection against the eastern diamondback, which is one reason we've chosen not to get it.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

nebraskabirdman

Post by nebraskabirdman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:28 pm

I live in Central Nebraska and have never seen one in these parts. I have seen several in the northwest portion of the state and they were all praire rattlers. I do have several buddies that I hunt with that have sworn theve seen them were I live, I just havent seen them. Just make sure you wear a good quality boot thats rated for snake bites. Good luck with your hunt. With all the fires we have been having in Nebraska this year, I m a little worried about the amount of birds this year. :(
If you can read this, Thank a Teacher
If you can read this in English, Thank a Veteran
OIF Vet. U.S. Army
Combat Engineer

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 am

hunt cool mornings and not afternoons.i usually see 1 rattler per week here in my area of pa but this topic is not about pa.
i would only hunt NE when its cool out and only in mornings.
:wink: