help a new guy thanks

lockhart52

help a new guy thanks

Post by lockhart52 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:02 pm

I am an experienced dog owner and lover. I grew up with several mastiffs and a rescue pitbull; however, I am an inexperienced hunter and never owned a gun dog. I have wanted to own a gun dog and become a better hunter for a very long time. The problem is that I don’t personally know any experienced hunters/handlers. Every year I find a person that tells me the will help but every year I am let down. I have decided that its time for me to stop waiting around and take action, but I don’t know were to start.
Should I gain more hunting experience before owning a gun dog?
What breed? (Think I want a pointing breed)
Any info helps thanks.

Gertie

Re: help a new guy thanks

Post by Gertie » Sat May 26, 2012 1:42 am

Hey there. I was about where you're at a little over a year ago. I knew I loved hunting (chukar especially) and I knew I loved hunting behind dogs but that's about it. I decided I liked it enough to get a dog and then made the decision about what breed to get. There are about a million threads on this site about why one chooses the breed they choose and the differences between the breeds so utilize that search feature. All of the breeds are great in their own way so it really all comes down to personal preference.
Anyway, once you have made a decision about what breed you want get out there and find a good pup. Do a little homework, ask some questions about breeders and lines (this is a good place to utilize that search again) and get your deposit in. While you're waiting for your pup do a little more homework, read some books, watch some dvds, ask more questions, pick a program and stick with it (Perfect start/Perfect finish, Huntsmith, and George Hickox are the most popular and gundogsupply.com has all of them in stock. I chose Sherry Ray Ebert because I have a setter and I like the way she trains) and finally, beg, borrow and steal to get access to birds.
Just make sure that before you get that perfect puppy that you are a)ready for having a high energy dog that needs exercise every day, b)have a lifestyle that can accommodate that kind of dog, c)are willing to be patient and take the time to build a happy, confident dog that you spend the time to teach commands, d)are willing to spend the time and money required to provide the dog with the care and other things it needs to be healthy and comfortable (if you think a good dog is expensive just wait until you figure in food, vet bills, e-collar, crate, chew toys, etc.). If you can do all of that then you're in for a lot of fun and a new partner in crime that is worth every penny. My pup is 9 months old now and I don't know what I ever did without her.
Keep an eye on this site, just remember to take everything with a grain of salt and do what makes sense. Best of luck to you!
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat May 26, 2012 6:22 am

Some times posting your location can help with getting help! :)

lockhart52

Post by lockhart52 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:52 am

ohio

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:58 am

We have lots of member in Ohio but not knowing where you are it is hard for any of them to know if they could help you or not. You will find most of the people on here will be your friend if you let them and will be glad to help if you ask.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

lockhart52

Post by lockhart52 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:52 am

close to akron ohio

lockhart52

Post by lockhart52 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:54 am

Thank you for all the help

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat May 26, 2012 11:50 am

Get a hold of a local NAVHDA chapter. Most chapters have monthly training session---You can go watch different breeds of pointing dogs and pick a breed you like. Those guys and this forum can help steer you into good lines in the breed you're looking for. At the training sessoions you can help with the dogs and pick up training tips, availability to birds, and maybe a mentor that lives close by. You can also go to AKC hunt tests--you can't train there, but you will see different breeds of pointing dogs and meet alot of people that will help you out. Good luck with whatever dog you decide on :D

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Sun May 27, 2012 7:23 am

I think you'd be fairly close to the Buckeye Chapter of NAVHDA. Their chapter website seems to be down for a month or more now, but maybe they'll get it back up soon. If not, The Shenango chapter meets in PA about 2 hrs from Akron.

-John

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 pm

Find a training group FIRST, pick a breed second. You'll meet some great guys and you'll wish you'd waited to get a dog until after you'd learned more about which one you might want. Join your local Pheasants Forever chapter and meet some good guys who like to hunt and love dogs. Just look them up on the web - www.pheasantsforever.org for your closest chapter.

I think if you wait to get the "right dog" until after you've learned a bit more, you'll make a much more informed decision, you might also find a "good deal" dog through a training club that needs a home and already knows more about hunting than you do - that's not a bad way to go.

Good luck and welcome!