South Dakota Hunting Question?

Onk

South Dakota Hunting Question?

Post by Onk » Thu May 31, 2012 5:05 pm

We are in the works of putting together a public hunting area trip to SD and need to know if SD requires out of state hunters to have hunter safety card/cert.! Here in Missouri I am old enough I was grandfathered in and have never taken it. I know when we went to Kansas the permit sales clerk said it was required there and did me a solid by using another # somehow. Hate to get out there and be turned back because I did not have it! Thanks
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: South Dakota Hunting Question?

Post by birddog1968 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:34 pm

Best to call SD game and fish.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

alynch

Post by alynch » Thu May 31, 2012 6:51 pm

I have gotten a license in Iowa south dakota and Kansasa without hunter card

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu May 31, 2012 7:57 pm

Ok thanks. I checked their web site and couldnt find the info, thats why I asked on here. I'll request the info when I call to order my atlas.

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 pm

i sign up for a south dakota phesant hunt info packet on the sd dnr web site they set me alittle info but hoping there will be more coming this fall which is when the pack comes out i think

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu May 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Not required. There regulations call for a dog health certificate although in 20 years of hunting there i have never heard of anyone being asked for one.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:25 am

Been there twice and I'm grandfathered in Wi. They did not ask me for one.

MTR

Post by MTR » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:58 am

I always buy my license online an haven't had an issue------but I watched a family from out of state at the Mitchell Cabela's last year get turned away while attempting to buy their out of state licenses at a area setup near the back of the store - I don't know if they were State or Cabela's employees. The child had taken hunter safety, had a patch on his vest, but no number or certificate/card to show them. They wouldn't sell him a license. There were some very unhappy and disappointed people.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Just called the South Dakota Department of Wildlife and requested my public land atlas, the 2012 ones will be sent out in Sept.. While I had them on the phone I found out that anyone over 16 years of age does not have to have hunter safety and health papers on dogs from a vet are required. Thanks for all the help.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:52 am

For any form of bird hunting there is no requirement for a certification. Big game such as deer and turkey require an huter education course. If you only archery hunt then you can get by with an Archery safety course.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:15 pm

I was grandfathered here in Missouri. I went ahead and took the Hunter Safety Class, because I missed Ks. cut-off by 2 years. Didn't have any problems in SD. We most likely will be heading to SD this year after our abysmal trip to Ks. last year.