SE Virginia hunting ??

C.painter

SE Virginia hunting ??

Post by C.painter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:09 pm

OK, I am looking at a potential job opp. in SE virginia and wondered what kind of upland opportunities/waterfowl opps there are in this part of the country. i am currently in South central WI and like the options I have here thats for sure!

PM me if you rather not post :-)

Just curious what I can expect if I go this route.

Cory

seacowboy

Re: SE Virginia hunting ??

Post by seacowboy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Few covey of quail can be found but rare. Western part of the state you'll be able to find grouse. Good opportunity on the waterfowl action though.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:16 pm

Where in SE? I just moved outside of Petersburg a few weeks back from Raleigh.

From what I have found out so far, good numbers of woodcock and shooting quail is akin to shooting an endangered species.

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Never hunted in SE, but in Central VA. there is awesome woodcock hunting. Our seasons are a bit funny as it is split. Where I run and hike with my two shorthairs we find woodcock year round somewhat unintentionally. Have found small sporadic wild quail pockets, but have never and would never shoot one as the covey's are real small. Head west to the George Washington and Jefferson National forest and with some big walking and a good dog you might get a few grouse flushes in a full days hunt. For a reasonable plantation hunt check out Orapax in goochland county. Great people, rates and fields.

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Petersburg is not far from where I would end up... that area to norfolk. Good to hear woodcock are around.. I would likely keep my place in northern WI to come back and do any serious grouse hunting! Grew up quail hunting in IL and sure miss it. Its a shame the quail are in decline for the most part nation wide.

THanks folks.

Cory

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 pm

plenty of waterfowl. upland is waiting on the woodcock to move through, but by that far south they are much more spread out than up north. quail are few and far between, but some military bases in the southern part of the state can have some quail opp. For grouse, you would have a good 3 hour drive to get into any kind of opp, but that is not much of an opp. You would get more up in one day, probably, in WI than you would in a season in VA.

brandon

desullivan

Post by desullivan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:58 pm

When I was stationed in Virginia I tried to hunt upland (quail and grouse) with no luck on the wild side. You can go to a preserve for planted quail. I also went west to the George Washington and Jefferson National forest with no luck. Stay in WI-that is where I wish I was for that time. At least keep your camp in WI. I was more than happy to drive from Williamsburg to Maine every fall to hunt grouse-much less frustrating and enjoyable.