Best way to get permission???

crewzm

Best way to get permission???

Post by crewzm » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm not rich enough to own land, and I am not fortunate enough to live near large tracts of government land. So my question is what is the best/most successful way to get permission from private land owners? A phone call, a letter, a knock on the door, best time of year to ask? I don't have a lot of extra money but I do have time and am young enough to still enjoy manual labor. Would most farmers/land owners be willing to trade a day or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 of manual labor for permission to walk their hay fields and grass waterways?

RobGSP

Re: Best way to get permission???

Post by RobGSP » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Around here in NC and SC (I live near the state line) the deer hunters have gobbled up most available land. Deer hunters pay the land owners a minimum of $10/acre for a lease. Trying to get on any land before January is near impossible. I have had to resort to paying to be part of a hunt club and still can't run my dog until after the deer season. There are a few preserves that offer year round memberships so you can work your dog in the off season and hunt during the oct thru march preserve season. Going rate for thoses memberships are starting at $800 for the year. NC offers some permit hunts on state managed land that are pretty cheap, around five dollars per permit. Some of the permits are draw permits which limits the number of people on the property on a given date. Some of the waterfowl permits limit the area where you can hunt which keeps people from hunting on top of one another. When I was a kid we hardly had any deer around where I live and it wasn't hard to find land that held birds. Farming has changed along with the habitat plus with the population explosion of deer and now we have our current day situation. To offset my expenses I take friends out for bird hunts and they are more than happy to kick some money my way for the ability to hunt. It doesn't cover all my expenses but it helps. Best advice I can give you is to network with other bird hunters or clubs and see what opportunities come up. Good luck.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:25 pm

The best thing I would do is go up and knock on the door, personal interaction is always best, time of year is about a month or so before the season and have dates ready on when you will be there to hunt, also some states require a letter saying that you have permission to hunt in there property. It will protect you as well as them for any problem, I am not sure about trading but I would do it, so they may, where do you live?
God Bless

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:48 pm

I could be wrong, but wasn't there a law passed in the past few years stating that some of the farm grounds were allowed to be hunted to the public in Illinois? I could have that mixed up with a different state, or something different all together....I hate getting old lol.

Corry

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:43 am

Bring the pup & have him in view in your truck or car. Don't let the dog out though.( in case people are affraid of dogs) I can't tell you how many times I have asked permission where the people are a little apprehensive at first but when you ask would it be alright for you & your dog to hunt they seem to loosen up a little & most times want to see your pup ! :)

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:45 am

One thing I have found over the years is try and go early in the summer. If you wait to long the landowners have already
Given permision to others and you might be out of luck.
Go alone, and just remember to be polite. You will not get permision from everyone so the more doors you knock on the better.
I personally have to tell myself, all they can say is NO
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:41 am

Ask when folks are not busy, if possible.
One hunter or two.
Remember folks with thank yous if you get the nod.
Learn the gift of gab.
Some will say a feed corn hat helps.

Deer hunting has indeed fouled up a lot with the spread of the Texas leasing model....private land is that fella's choice of leasing, imo, but many acres of once open by agreement Corporate land has been gobbled up by the deer and turkey folks waving stacks of cash, all for bragging rights at the barbershop.
Old agreements change as new timber investment groups arise as well.
Deer hunting....bad, bad for the upland birdhunter in many regions....and bad for the birds as well when the deer feeders run nearly 365 feeding nest predators.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:02 am

If I am hunting out of state/country I approach with something from my native land. (WI) Cheese and maple syrup are two of the biggies that have gotten very positive responses. I've also offered venison snack sticks, sausage etc. And even if I get a no I offer them something for their time and at least listening to me.

In State - Offering to put in some sweat equity on the property is another route especially during harvest.

Whenever I gain permission I stop after the hunt and offer them some of the game that I've taken and to say thank you once again. Keeping names and addresses and sending a Christmas card never hurts either.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 pm

What kind of things would impress you enough to allow someone to hunt on your land if the tables were turned?

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Max2 wrote:Bring the pup & have him in view in your truck or car. Don't let the dog out though.( in case people are affraid of dogs) I can't tell you how many times I have asked permission where the people are a little apprehensive at first but when you ask would it be alright for you & your dog to hunt they seem to loosen up a little & most times want to see your pup ! :)
I would bring your dog but on leash, i used to hunt my dads Britt and when i would ask a farmer or anyone i found more luck having the dog with me on leash. They never could be able to turn down a dog. JMO.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:54 pm

I have a buddy who has cards he printed out on his computer( really just sheets of paper he cut to buisness card size) he will go to properties before season and ask. Leaving them a card even if they say not sure. The card has his name address and phone number along with a description of his vehicles and liscense plate numbers. He is a little bolder than I when it comes to meeting new people but this approach seems to work for him. He will even go ask where property is posted no hunting which anymore is every other property around here. He usually throws in the take my kids, dog, or buddy line to make sure it's ok if he brings someone else. Offering some of his bounty has gotten him on a few also.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:51 am

We usually offer up manual labor to older farmers in Easter Wa. We go over and help him do the up keep on his tractors or bale hay for a week during the summer, and then we have permission all year. And when we go over we have all the women folk bake him a bunch of cookies since he lives by himself and rarely gets anything baked for him. We also make sure to bring him out to dinner a time or two each time we go over there. Its all about figuring out what the landowner wants from you, not just what you want from them. Around home, I will offer up a free carpet cleaning, and send best guy over to their house to clean up their rugs and couches and anything else they want done. More often then not they will take that trade to make their wives happy.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Getting permission is as easy as getting out to car and asking. Sometimes yes sometimes no. Middle of the week seems to work the best. Always have a young dog that needs work and the owner can have the birds, cleaned if they want. This method has worked in several states.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:34 pm

I never ask when they are getting crop in but alot of times i'll mention when i stop that we have been hunting out here for 13 years and would like to run dogs thru their tract next year . Usually we have permission to hunt that afternoon. I'm in a real small town so most farmers have seen us by now. I wear an old Tenn hat and have had to buy a Neb hat from the store before the farmer would let me hunt. Best 10 dollars i ever spent, we hunted a section that his wife told me no one has hunted in 15 years. We pointed 25 birds in 2 hrs, only shot 2 but blanked the rest. We hunt there every year now.Usually if you just ask if they have been seeing any birds they will eventually offer you a spot to hunt.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 am

Honesty is the best policy. Tell them where you live, how many people will be with you & who they are, what you drive (if different than what you show up in), when you will arrive & leave. Don't make any assumptions about what period of time you've been given permission for, get it nailed down. Most want to know when you are on their land so if you're asking early, check to see if they'd like you to stop by the house before & after hunting. If true, tell them you are very safety conscious & are very careful about not leaving any bottles, cans, wrappers, butts or other trash where you stop. Most farmers and other land owners hate all trash including butts & chewing product wrappers or containers. If you get along well during a visit ask for references to other landowners in the area who may let you hunt.

Remember these tend to be very small communities & what you say & how you act can & will be held for or against you in the court of local opinions.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:26 am

deke wrote:We usually offer up manual labor to older farmers in Easter Wa. We go over and help him do the up keep on his tractors or bale hay for a week during the summer, and then we have permission all year. And when we go over we have all the women folk bake him a bunch of cookies since he lives by himself and rarely gets anything baked for him. We also make sure to bring him out to dinner a time or two each time we go over there. Its all about figuring out what the landowner wants from you, not just what you want from them. Around home, I will offer up a free carpet cleaning, and send best guy over to their house to clean up their rugs and couches and anything else they want done. More often then not they will take that trade to make their wives happy.
That's how it' done a lot in the west- offering up labor ect. Honest and respectful