Doves?

mydoghasfleas

Doves?

Post by mydoghasfleas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:11 pm

So while running pup this morning, (15 month Brittany) we ran into several large coveys of Doves. He was overwhelmed by numbers, but he did manage to point a few when he could get downwind of the scent. He was also running the back sides of hedge rows and kicking lots of birds right into my shooting lane. So my question is what are the thoughts on shooting doves over him since the season opens next week and its a short drive to an awesome dove hunting area? Could this be good early season training? or is this going to stop his drive to point? I really want to start shooting birds over him and with the numbers we saw today he could get a lot of experience. Thanks for any feed back!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Doves?

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:53 pm

There is absolutely nothing good that the pup will learn from you shooting birds flying around. The term shooting over should be restricted to birds the pup has pointed. Any other birds will just cause you a lot of problem in the days to come.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:56 pm

^^^^ditto^^^^ plus I'd never take a young pointing dog to a dove field during opener. Way too many hopped up shooters, too much shooting, too many things can go wrong quickly.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:44 am

I think if you were on private land and the dog had pointed the bird as you stated it would be fine to shoot them. Really it depends on what you plan on doing with your pup. If solely hunting with your dog why not. I know plenty of people who shoot ducks and geese with their pointers and some that duck hunt and play doggie games. Only you know how far along your dog is and at 15mo. I believe a dog is very impressionable your call really. I plan on taking my dog Pull this year dove hunting but will leave my younger female home.

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:54 am

Oddly enough, Momo's first real hunting trip last year was a dove trip. It was not on opening day, so just a a friend and I and his female lab and Momo. Only saw 5 birds or so, but Momo did get a nice point in the sagebrush. She also got to find dead birds (it was fun to watch her hunt dead better than the 4 Y.O. female lab, she found all three downed birds - go Frenchie go - truth in advertising, she found them, but the lab retrieved them).

We started the day out late, so we ended up walking sage/grass for most of the day. This was perfect for Momo. The last hour or so we settled into a likely path and waited. Oddly enough, this was a good experience as well, as it was one of the first times I have forced her to lay down calmly outdoors.

So, while I am not saying the experts are wrong (cause these guys know a lot more about dogs than I do), I think there are some situations you can get in where dove hunting can help a pup develop. Likely, you don't even want an "awsome" dove area - unless you are focused on retrieval training.

note, I certainly wouldn't start with any sort of blind/stainary hunting style with a dog that wasn't good with guns.

shot2high

Post by shot2high » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Ezzy

So if a person was searching for the best breed for his purposes and one of the main purposes is retrieving doves you would not recommend a pointing breed? I know there are those who use their versatile pointers retrieve dove and duck, but you think it detrimental to do so with a young dog?? Interesting, I have not read that opinion on the boards I used as a research tool. So I would presume that a spaniel would not be negatively affected by letting it retrieve doves as a young dog? I am looking for a breed that will hunt with me from September dove through February rabbit and quail season. I was leaning toward a.French Brittany but I would hate to goof the dog up before it ever got started...

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Can a pointing breed be used as a non slip retriever? Yes
Is it the best option? No

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:31 am

shot2high wrote:Ezzy

So if a person was searching for the best breed for his purposes and one of the main purposes is retrieving doves you would not recommend a pointing breed? I know there are those who use their versatile pointers retrieve dove and duck, but you think it detrimental to do so with a young dog?? Interesting, I have not read that opinion on the boards I used as a research tool. So I would presume that a spaniel would not be negatively affected by letting it retrieve doves as a young dog? I am looking for a breed that will hunt with me from September dove through February rabbit and quail season. I was leaning toward a.French Brittany but I would hate to goof the dog up before it ever got started...
I have no problem hunting doves with an older pointing dog but it is not the place for a pup.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shot2high

Post by shot2high » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:32 am

So if I am searching for a dog that will do it all and do it early I should ( in your opinion) look to a spaniel / retriever???? Just narrowing my breeds to choice from...

Thanks for the advice..

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:13 am

shot2high wrote:So if I am searching for a dog that will do it all and do it early I should ( in your opinion) look to a spaniel / retriever???? Just narrowing my breeds to choice from...

Thanks for the advice..
If you are worried about hunting any dog as soon as possible and not waiting until he/she is ready you could create problems but that probably depends on what you expect out of a dog.