Dove opener..

uplandrsb

Dove opener..

Post by uplandrsb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:16 am

So this weekend is opening dove season and it looks like we will be getting rained on all weekend? I am guessing that dove hunting in the rain is unproductive but I didn't know if some have done so? I won't be out in a down pour but. Steady rain would not keep me away if they are flying.

Any one have any luck in the rain?

quackerjack

Re: Dove opener..

Post by quackerjack » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 am

Hate to say this but I have never had much success under those conditions. Best of luck.
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am

Be careful what you are shooting as there will be a lot of pigeon races this weekend.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't think it will be worth it .. I may have to wait a few days..

Munster

Post by Munster » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Today was Iowa's dove opener. Jim was able to meet up with some good friends and took Abby ( Small Munsterlander)along for some retrieve work. I, on the other hand, decided that they wouldnt do very well and decided to stay snuggled in my bed! Something about 4 am wake up calls dont mesh with me. BIG BIG Mistake! Over 60 Doves were shot and retrieved! SOUNDS like they had a good time!
They are planning on hitting it again tomorrow. I have dog training down south so I will miss it again!!!!:mad: Cant wait to get this testing season done and hunt!

Abby and Ava the Lab

http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:50 am

Way to go Abby. There must've been a dozen cars at a sunflower plot near where I was training yesterday, some that 2-3 people got back into. I think if I'd shown up and seen that many folks at one place, I probably would have left. Lots of shots going off though, and half of the cars still there by noon, so the getting must've been good.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:23 pm

We have had no rain here in over a month but that's normal. Great hunting though. The kid bagged quite a few Saturday in about an hour before my sons football game. Yesterday we took a break from my sons archery deer hunt and picked up 28 more in a little over an hour. Its way to hot now to go outside but we are headed out again his evening. I love dove season.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 pm

53 birds between our group of four today. It was a blast can't wait to wrap some bacon around them breasts and throw them on the grill. Yummmy. :D

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Today we had a great day out.. lots of doves and it doesnt look like we will have a cold spirt soon either. I'll need to step up the shooting however.. those Dang things can be hard to hit.. I think we got 25 between a cw of us

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:18 am

Mmm.... Bacon! I know there's a recipie section. But how about a few here? The Italian dressing overnight soak, then low and slow on the grill is good but i know there's much more out there.
Thanks.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 pm

My favorite is half a jalapeno inside the breast halves wrapped with peppered bacon on the grill. I also like the floured and blanched then put in dutch oven with carrots potatoes and onions and a can of cream of mushroom soup cooked real slow.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:07 pm

twofeathers wrote:My favorite is half a jalapeno inside the breast halves wrapped with peppered bacon on the grill. I also like the floured and blanched then put in dutch oven with carrots potatoes and onions and a can of cream of mushroom soup cooked real slow.
That's the way I BBQ them. I also add http://www.basquecompany.com/. Great stuff
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:30 pm

The first time ever dove hunting it rained all day but we all limited out. Love dove.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

jtwelding

Post by jtwelding » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:24 pm

between are group we shot 55 opening night and 40 the next moring how I cook: take brest off the bone, wrap with bacon put in marinaide over night that conssist of 3 bottles of lime marinade, a bottle of soy sauce, a bottle of molassas, and a little worcestershire sauce. or I have a recipe for the jack daniels marinaid like you buy in the package at the store

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Dove Opener Bakersfield Ca was OK. I managed to shoot 6 birds but my son shot his limit. There are still lots of birds out there. We are still shooting limits. I took my 5 month short hair out for the first time on dove and he did very well. He retrieved all my birds. I guess all that training had paid off. Here is a picture of him on the tail gate of my truck. It was a 100 degrees that day. One hot dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:34 am

jtwelding wrote:between are group we shot 55 opening night and 40 the next moring how I cook: take brest off the bone, wrap with bacon put in marinaide over night that conssist of 3 bottles of lime marinade, a bottle of soy sauce, a bottle of molassas, and a little worcestershire sauce. or I have a recipe for the jack daniels marinaid like you buy in the package at the store

That sounds like it would even make a duck breast taste good!!!