Michigan--Upper Peninsula

MichiganHunter

Michigan--Upper Peninsula

Post by MichiganHunter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Hello all. I am new to this forum. I own land outside of St.Ignace Michigan. The land is grouse heaven. I have hunted deer on the property since I bought it 6 years ago. Last year was my first, "all in", year for bird hunting. There are over 100 acres I hunt. Last year I went up several times with fairly large groups of friends. Most of the hunts were in Oct/Nov last year. I went up this weekend with the wife and kids and hunted by myself. This is the first time I hunted grouse/woodcock so early in the season. We only flushed one bird all weekend. I would appreciate any thoughts more experienced grouse hunters in the U.P. could share as to why this weekend was so rough. Sincerely,

MN Bonasa

Re: Michigan--Upper Peninsula

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:34 am

I hunt Minnesota however the early season is just that. lots of cover. I have never done real well opening weekend, I didn't even have a flush this weekend. I didn't hunt real hard though. Wait two weeks and it will only get better as the leaves come down, always does. They are also saying the birds are on the down cycle this year so that to will have effect also.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:49 am

MichiganHunter wrote:Hello all. I am new to this forum. I own land outside of St.Ignace Michigan. The land is grouse heaven. I have hunted deer on the property since I bought it 6 years ago. Last year was my first, "all in", year for bird hunting. There are over 100 acres I hunt. Last year I went up several times with fairly large groups of friends. Most of the hunts were in Oct/Nov last year. I went up this weekend with the wife and kids and hunted by myself. This is the first time I hunted grouse/woodcock so early in the season. We only flushed one bird all weekend. I would appreciate any thoughts more experienced grouse hunters in the U.P. could share as to why this weekend was so rough. Sincerely,

First thought would be the degree of dryness and scenting conditions, second might be the experience of dog and hunter.
Third would be the incredible smallness of 100 acres being hunted by "large" groups and more than once or twice a season by a couple of folks....even in the U.P. with the ability to recruit from surroundings(if the surroundings are good) hunting is a factor, whether birds are shot or not, in many coverts.
Why would anyone hunt ruffed grouse with large groups of people? :?: Skirmish lines are bad.
Fourth, would be an aging of the cover itself.
Fifth...cycle.
Sixth....just one of those weekends.

m2244

Post by m2244 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 am

MichiganHunter wrote:We only flushed one bird all weekend. I would appreciate any thoughts more experienced grouse hunters in the U.P. could share as to why this weekend was so rough.
You're not alone. I live in VT. Been out scouting/traing with my ES. Looks like a very slow year for grouse. Woodcock seem to be plentiful though.

Good luck

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 pm

You hunting with a dog or by yourself? It's a lot tougher with the leaves still on the trees for sure, but if you are hunting dogless, I think a lot of people make the mistake of moving too fast and too loud. When the birds get nervous they'll start to shift around and you'll hear them stepping and sometimes you'll hear soft clucks.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:26 pm

MN Bonasa wrote:I hunt Minnesota however the early season is just that. lots of cover. I have never done real well opening weekend, I didn't even have a flush this weekend. I didn't hunt real hard though. Wait two weeks and it will only get better as the leaves come down, always does. They are also saying the birds are on the down cycle this year so that to will have effect also.
well i feel better i think my pup flushed 5 grouse sunday and 4 this evening i just wish she would hold point, but she still young and were working on it. its still alittle thick but we had a couple hard frosts her in northern minnesota so far. its amazing how much the leave have drop this early in the season. i'm not sure why but it seems around the first part of november we see alot more grouse when we are getting ready for deer hunting :? happy hunting

MichiganHunter

Post by MichiganHunter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. This weekend I hunted with just me and my pup. My pup (Winchester---named after MASH, not the gun) is a Field Bred English Cocker. His parents were both well established in the Field Trial Circuits. I paid pretty good money for him and have been extremely thrilled with his heart and tenacity. When pheasant hunting, he makes quick work of every and all bird. The first time I took him into the big woods last year, he shocked me. On his first hunt we limited out on Grouse in less than two hours. We limited out on Woodcock two hours after that. I am confident that he will only continue to get better. And yes, he does make the occaisonal mistake. I am quite certain, I too make plenty of them. The property I own, including the surrounding areas I hunt, were completly covered this weekend. It looked like early summer on the property. We do get the occaisional Sharptail Grouse on the property as well.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:26 pm

I blanked today in MN. Probably couldn't have shot tjrough all the undergrowth anway. Still a good day.

Ytplum

Post by Ytplum » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Hello my wife and I are going up to baraga county in late September and was wondering if anyone knows of any grouse guides in the area thanks for any help