Public Land during Bow Season

bigeyedfish

Public Land during Bow Season

Post by bigeyedfish » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Does anybody worry about hunting public land during bow season? I'm not really concerned for safety, but I'd like to avoid a conflict with other hunters. As a bow hunter I wouldn't be angry at another hunter for using the land, but I've heard some pretty hateful things from come out of the mouths of other hunters. So what do you think?

Bberry20

Re: Public Land during Bow Season

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:17 pm

I was grouse hunting this past weekend and saw a truck parked on the other side of the field, i tried to stay as far away as possible to not disturb his hunt. As we got back to the truck the hunter was leaving as well and stopped to shoot the breeze with us. He thanked us for leaving some ground for him and said he saw us from his binocs (enjoyed watching the dogs work since he didnt see any deer). He also pointed out that he had seen some grouse in another field about a mile away.

I guess its a 50/50 on who you run into and how they will react. But i think if you respect each other things should be ok.

DogNewbie

Re: Public Land during Bow Season

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm

It's the exact same date range as the grouse season in MN so you just have to be cautious. I don't hunt public land during rifle season however.