Blue Success!

quackerjack

Blue Success!

Post by quackerjack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:22 am

Had a couple great weekends hunting for grouse! We saw loads of birds but due to the dry summer/fall, they weren't in the typical areas we have found them in the past. And the leaves were vibrant!

I was even able to get my Pops out for the first time. Boy did he love it when the grouse would explode out from under his feet!

Peace, it's what's for dinner!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Blue Success!

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:27 am

Nice take guys. Looks like good Father and Son time.
Thanks for sharing.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:43 am

thats great, glad to see you had some success!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:11 am

Just think how fun this will be once you get that pup?! Nothin’ better than a day in the field with your father, looks like you had a good day!

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 am

Looks like y'all hammered em!!

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Great pics

Seems like the forest grouse did well all over the west, here in WY both the blues and ruffed grouse had big broods. My 6 month old pup is pointing them...for a while, then she points them as they sit in the tree after they flush! Hunting fool hens can be comical at times with a bird sitting in tree dodging the rocks you are throwing trying to get them to fly!!!!

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:11 pm

rkappes wrote:Just think how fun this will be once you get that pup?! Nothin’ better than a day in the field with your father, looks like you had a good day!
Ryan, I can't wait! It is awesome to be out but doesn't even compare to being out watching the dog work. A whole new level of hunting.

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Wyobio wrote:Great pics

Seems like the forest grouse did well all over the west, here in WY both the blues and ruffed grouse had big broods. My 6 month old pup is pointing them...for a while, then she points them as they sit in the tree after they flush! Hunting fool hens can be comical at times with a bird sitting in tree dodging the rocks you are throwing trying to get them to fly!!!!
What kind of dog do you have? Sounds like it's doing great! We probably saw close to 50 Blue Grouse the two Saturdays we hunted, no exaggeration. They were in big coveys, which made the hunting fun and quick. We usually find plenty up there but never this many.

It's funny you mention throwing rocks at the dang treed birds. We always have a good time trying to hit 'em so they flush out. Rarely works though...

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:42 pm

The 6 month old is a GWP, I also have another GWP in her 10th season, still going strong. The old dog is a grouse finding/pointing machine, and is one of the few dogs I have hunted with that points the western forest grouse effectively. Not really sure why, the dogs I have hunted over all are great on pheasant, huns, quail and chukars, but they always seem to blow past or flush the forest grouse. I am guessing that because forest grouse are often visible and walking away from the dog, it is too much to handle!!!! I am hoping the new pup learns the old dogs tricks.....

Out here blues and ruffs are a totally untapped resource, I have never seen another bird hunter while out in the field. The aspen and cottonwoods are turning, hunting in a t-shirt, it is all good fun. Next monday starts the elk rifle season, going to have to switch gears......

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Wyobio wrote:The old dog is a grouse finding/pointing machine, and is one of the few dogs I have hunted with that points the western forest grouse effectively. Not really sure why, the dogs I have hunted over all are great on pheasant, huns, quail and chukars, but they always seem to blow past or flush the forest grouse. I am guessing that because forest grouse are often visible and walking away from the dog, it is too much to handle!!!! I am hoping the new pup learns the old dogs tricks.....
They are funny in that regard and I would hope that the young learns well from the veteran as well. Nothing better than hunting over a seasoned dog; nothing has to be said, just works flawlessly.
Wyobio wrote:Out here blues and ruffs are a totally untapped resource, I have never seen another bird hunter while out in the field. The aspen and cottonwoods are turning, hunting in a t-shirt, it is all good fun. Next monday starts the elk rifle season, going to have to switch gears......
That's awesome that you are always alone. Builds confidence that there will be a strong population there year after year. Do you hunt the Wind River range, living in Pinedale? Every summer for the past 13 years or so I do a week long backpacking trip up in the Winds. I love it up there so much! Gorgeous country! Good luck with your Elk hunt. You'll have to send me some pictures.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Wyobio wrote:Out here blues and ruffs are a totally untapped resource, I have never seen another bird hunter while out in the field. The aspen and cottonwoods are turning, hunting in a t-shirt, it is all good fun. Next monday starts the elk rifle season, going to have to switch gears......
That's awesome that you are always alone. Builds confidence that there will be a strong population there year after year. Do you hunt the Wind River range, living in Pinedale? Every summer for the past 13 years or so I do a week long backpacking trip up in the Winds. I love it up there so much! Gorgeous country! Good luck with your Elk hunt. You'll have to send me some pictures.[/quote]

I love it here, I get to do 3-4 backpacking trips into the Wind's and have fished most of the lakes on the west side. There are a TON of ruffed grouse around in the foothills of the Winds's, but I also hunt the Gros Ventres, Teton's and the Big Holes over in ID. It is all about big game hunting around here though, so I try to avoid the elky areas during rifle season (although my GWP pointed a calf elk once)!

Here is a little bull from a few years ago....