MN grouse hunting

dugger13

MN grouse hunting

Post by dugger13 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:00 am

I am going pheasant hunting later on in southern minnesota, so i am going to have a license all year for small game in MN. That being said, i have never hunted in MN. I am a WI boy. Has anyone hunted here before?
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/hwt/hwt_142.pdf

The reason i ask, i have access to a free cabin about 30 minutes from there. Not looking for your hot spot, but still will it be worth it? Should i go somewhere else. I am about 1 hour east of duluth. Thanks

rkappes

Re: MN grouse hunting

Post by rkappes » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:41 am

I have not hunted here but it’s a beautiful area. Lakes, golf, fishing,etc… I have friends who hunt the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge for ruffies and have wonderful luck. TNWR is about 40 minutes from Park Rapids.

Again, I have no idea about bird numbers but if I had the opportunity at a free cabin by Park Rapids to hunt some ruffies I’d definitely do it.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 am

Hour east of Duluth huh? I would pack a fly rod and a gun and hunt and fish the brule! I've always thought that sounded like an awesome day....never get around to buying a WI hunting license though.

I've hunted in the walker area before. Not in a while and not with a dog though. I'd bet you'd bump into some birds. IMO the further north you go the better the numbers.

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 am

I fish the brule, hunt the brule all the time. Awesome area to grow up in and live in.