Where to hunt in Virginia???

DoubleA31

Where to hunt in Virginia???

Post by DoubleA31 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm taking a few days in November to see some family for Thanksgiving. They live in palmyra, which is central VA. Im bringing my young 14 month old britt with us. I would love to get a hunt or two in while Im there. If anybody knows of any spots worth trying or would like to hunt with me, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks, Alan

MATT4126

Re: Where to hunt in Virginia???

Post by MATT4126 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:42 am

Not sure what you are hoping to hunt for, but Thanksgiving is a tough time to wild bird hunt since deer season is in full swing in the entire state, and woodcock season is closed. If you want to risk getting shot you could head west to the GWNF and walk up the side of a mountain busting brush looking for a few grouse flushes. My recommendation would be to go to Orapax plantation in Goochland county. http://orapax.com/ Great people, nice big fields and reasonable rates. Wild quail hunting is about extinct in VA.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:21 am

Matt is right. There is not much bird hunting there.

There are a couple of wma south of there that you might be able to get a quail or two. I do not know about woodcock season then, it might be in. You do not need to make it all of the way to gwnf, up around the Shenandoah nat park you could get some grouse up.

Overall do not have high expectations.

Brandon

mollyjmu

Post by mollyjmu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:01 am

Who are you visiting in Palmyra? if you don't mind me asking. Birds are rare in this part of VA this year, you are going to have to drop some money for a game preserve. Head an hour north to Culpeper for one of their preserves. Rose Hill is a good bang for your buck (I think it was around $150 for an unguided hunt).

DoubleA31

Post by DoubleA31 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Its my father-in-law (Mike Chenail). I was just looking for something to do with the pup on this trip. I'm losing some quality days at the end of our bird season here in mass. I'll deffently check out some game preserves. A quail hunt in VA does sound good. Thanks for all the info and help