MN Opener

rkappes

MN Opener

Post by rkappes » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:58 am

It was a wonderful weekend, one of the best weekends of my life. Beautiful weather, great dog work, poor shooting (me), sore bodies, all shared with my best friend and girlfriend Karli. She truly is one of a kind. This weekend made memories that will last a lifetime. The highlight of the weekend was a rooster flushing within a couple feet of Karli, Karli screaming and left speechless....it was AWESOME!

It was Karli’s first time pheasant hunting. Hopefully this will be the start of many bird hunting adventures together. It was an absolute honor to take her out for the first time, I’ll cherish this weekend forever!

After the first day of hunting we swung into an outdoor shop to pick up some eye wash for the mutt, I showed Karli a 20 gauge ultra light and she thought that was pretty darn nice, thought maybe she should have one.

Jersey's first rooster of the 2012 season.

Video of Jersey just before she flushed a rooster. I only needed a few more seconds and we would've captured all the action....dang it. Wish I had better equipment for photos and video. Next investment.....Benelli Ultra Light 20 gauge (for Karli :D ) and a decent DSLR camera!

quackerjack

Re: MN Opener

Post by quackerjack » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 am

Congrats on getting the girlfriend out! Sounds like fun was had by all. Thanks for sharing.
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

JeffLex00

Post by JeffLex00 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:44 am

Sounds like an awesome weekend. Although a female's screams can be disheartening, I'm thinking should might have more success on pheasants with the ultra-light! Wishing you both continued success in and out of the field.

djloder

Post by djloder » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:56 am

Nice work!
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:58 pm

djloder wrote:Nice work!
Did you make it out for the MN opener?

djloder

Post by djloder » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Nope I don't go out for many openers except deer.

Mostly been grouse and woodcock hunting this Oct.

Going prairie chicken hunting this weekend so I'll look for a few roosters as well.
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

roaner

Post by roaner » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:33 pm

If you're looking for a good camera for recording hunts I might suggest the GoPro line. They have a new model coming out in Nov that shoots 4k (Cinema Quality). So you could get the hero2 at a bargain or splurge on the 3.

There are a couple of youtube vids of guys pheasant & duck hunting with them. They are small, light, and have head and chest mounts for different perspectives. One guy even mounted one on his lab.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:20 am

djloder wrote:Nope I don't go out for many openers except deer.

Mostly been grouse and woodcock hunting this Oct.

Going prairie chicken hunting this weekend so I'll look for a few roosters as well.
How did the prairie chicken hunt go?

Edit: We've been seeing a ton of chickens around here this season. We put in for MN tags but didn't get drawn, hopefully next year.
Last edited by rkappes on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 am

roaner wrote:If you're looking for a good camera for recording hunts I might suggest the GoPro line. They have a new model coming out in Nov that shoots 4k (Cinema Quality). So you could get the hero2 at a bargain or splurge on the 3.

There are a couple of youtube vids of guys pheasant & duck hunting with them. They are small, light, and have head and chest mounts for different perspectives. One guy even mounted one on his lab.

Great, thanks for the info, I appreciate it. By the way, nice lookin' dog!