Quail hunting in California

Rmgariador

Post by Rmgariador » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:41 pm

We went out this weekend only found one covey of about 15. Please tell me you guys had better luck?
YEP!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: Quail hunting in California

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Hunting in California? Please tell me your joking because those 2 don't mix. I'm amazed that you found a covey. Where do you hunt? Lol

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:32 pm

This is what I found....... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

birdhunter23

Post by birdhunter23 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:42 pm

I went to a place i hunted last year with 100s of quail did not see a single bird! me and the dogs hunted all day it was not good at all.

Rmgariador

Post by Rmgariador » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Well I use to hunt my family ranch in chino hills that had a good population of quail because it was hardly hunted and when it was, it was me and one of my buddies. Now the land got rezoned to city and few other things happened but long story short we are not allowed to shoot anymore. So the land is just used to start training my pup I tried a few places next to pyramid lake but nothing worked out. The only place we found a covey was on another ranch. I didn't realize how good I had it until I had to go on public land and look for birds.
YEP!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Well, you could come down to Anza and give it a shot. There is quail here but it's hard to contact them. Maybe buy a few birds at the local bird farm to plant just in case you don't find any wild ones.

I accept tri-tip and beer as payment. Lol

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:58 pm

ultracarry wrote:This is what I found....... :)
Not good.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 am

Well I have heard bad bird reports this year for Ca. It seems to be true, even though I was able to harvest 8 quail. Great day for the new dog. I did seem some coveys. From what I heard from my other hunting buddies the picture looks grim. No rain and just to dry for the birds to survie. I also heard that a group of anti hunters are trying to get rid of the guzzlers in the desert. I guess they are trying to change the land back like it was with out any humans on it. Well if they get there way there will be no bird hunting in the desert." Got to love this Sate".

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Pappy wrote:Well I have heard bad bird reports this year for Ca. It seems to be true, even though I was able to harvest 8 quail. Great day for the new dog. I did seem some coveys. From what I heard from my other hunting buddies the picture looks grim. No rain and just to dry for the birds to survie. I also heard that a group of anti hunters are trying to get rid of the guzzlers in the desert. I guess they are trying to change the land back like it was with out any humans on it. Well if they get there way there will be no bird hunting in the desert." Got to love this Sate".
Way to go Pat. Yep, it's going to be a tuff year.On the opener, I ran into one nice covey right when I was out of water for Gator. I ended up with 3 and missed a few, wish I could of stayed on them. Friday ran into 3 nice coveys, it was dry and really tuff hunting conditions. It was the first time I had Maya on wild birds and they really worked her over. I managed 1 point and me missing,she had and a lot of hot spot pointing.Boy she looks nice on point, just can't wait for her to figure out the game.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson