Nebraska quail/phez hunting

Birdman250

Nebraska quail/phez hunting

Post by Birdman250 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Anyone hunted quail and pheasants in Nebraska?? Suggestion: public or private lands??
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

quanah labs

Re: Nebraska quail/phez hunting

Post by quanah labs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:38 pm

I haven't hunt Nebraska this year but have been considering SW NE to be my one and only hunting destination this year. From what I have read and been told by several locals though is NE has been hit HARD by the drought and bird numbers are WAY down.

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Why hunt NE when you can drive right through N or S Dakota? I wouldn't waste my time even if it was private land, farmers around the state, even SW part of the state haven't been seeing birds.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:44 pm

Theres a decent concentration of public in Nebraska down just south of I 80 in the central part of the state, that ought to have phez and quail.

Otherwise 97 Percent of nebraska is private land.

If you paying isn't a big deal and or you want nice lodging you could check out Open Country Adventures....I know them to be really good people with a super nice operation.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:53 pm

A lot of the private land enrolled in the Open Fields Open Waters program http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/p ... /atlas.pdf
has been mowed this year due to the extreme drought. Much of it is no more than grazed pasture anyway...

I saw a couple pheasants in the sandhills last week but those were the first ones I've seen since last fall. The pheasant hunting for the east 1/3 of the state is lousy at best. I've heard a couple reports of 'ok' bird numbers around the state, but I think these are small isolated pockets of birds. I think I've heard slightly better reports about quail.

We have LOTS of turkeys though. :|

jeff shumaker

Post by jeff shumaker » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:06 pm

I live in southeast nebraska. Beatrice this year the quial numbers will be real good. The pheasants are up but not great. There are lots of public land it just gets hunted hard. Private is way to go. Are you from nebraska.