Moving to Topeka Kansas

Meatballs

Moving to Topeka Kansas

Post by Meatballs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:58 am

GunDog Brethren-

I have finally landed a job in the midwest/plains after being stuck in Kentucky for nearly 3 years.

We will likely live in / around Topeka and plan on hitting the ground running when we get there with Diesel (2 yo Draht).

I am open to any advice / opinion / observations about where to / not to hunt. When we lived in SD we hunted only public land.

Since being here in KY we have made to resort to pen raised birds at preserves. It was do that or dont hunt birds.

Appreciate in advance any help / advice. We dont mind traveling the state to reach decent bird hunting.

Matthew :D :P

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Moving to Topeka Kansas

Post by topher40 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:16 am

There is plenty of walk-in ground around to choose from. Some better than others obviously. Get yourself a map and start driving. The further from Topeka you get the less pressure you will find. It doesnt hurt to knock on some doors while you are out either. Good luck, T-town is a rough place. Just look at the cities paper, plenty of shootings, stabbings, rapes, burglaries. There are plenty of bedroom communities within 20-30 minutes that are much better places to reside and are still close enough for a short commute.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:44 am

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT move into the city limits. Like mentioned above plenty of smaller communities around that are much better to live in. And if you have a family they are better yet.

The PD in Topeka is, well, enough said on that subject. Topeka is not a huge city (maybe 150K) by any means and too small to have the amount of problems it has in my opinion.

Also if at all possible stay out of Shawnee county unless you just love to pay taxes. Next to Johnson county it's the highest taxed county in the state I believe. And for the amount of taxes we pay in this county I sometimes wonder where it all goes...........

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Man those 2 just made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside about movin there huh?! :D My sister inlaw is KU's ace softball pitcher so I've been to Lawrence a few times and in the surrounding area. I thought Manhattan was ok, if you didn't mind the commute. Also moving west puts you closer to pheasant country.

http://www.quailforever.org/page/1/2012ksforecast.jsp

That may interest you as well. Good luck!

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Oh its not all doom and gloom. Just stay out of Topeka city limits and Shawnee county if you can. Manhattan is about an hour from downtown Topeka. Lawrence maybe 30 minutes or less to downtown Topeka. A really nice area is west of Topeka on K-4 Hiway around Dover/Eskridge area. Love it out there! Beautiful country.