South Dakota pheasant hunting 2012

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Just returned yesterday from my annual pheasant hunt with family and close friends. We have gone up for the SD opener for the past 6 years. This is Katie's third year going and has done a good job learning how to pin these running fools. Her first point and retrieve on a wild bird was a SD pheasant at 6 months old. I play that memory back each time I walk over that spot. Here are some pictures from our hunt.

Katie pointing in a fence row.

Opening day's harvest.

Katie pointing a bird on the edge of a slough. She circled out in front and pinned him down which lead to a perfect flush, shot, and retrieve. It was a nice second year bird which I saved to be mounted; flushing along with another bird. I'm going to have the picture attached along with the date taken, etc.

Another day's harvest.

Most of the guys had given up on this draw and were headed back to the truck. I let Katie finish running down to the corner while I stood on the side of the hill and fooled with my Alpha receiver. The alert went off that she was on point and I could see her about 175 yards off standing nicely. I let some of the other guys go down to work the bird while I took a picture. My cousin's English setter came in and backed. The bird ended up having a broken wing and when it was flushed started running. Katie was released and ran the bird down and made a nice retrieve.

On the last couple hours of the last day I went off on a solo hunt with Katie. She ended up pointing two birds that turned out to be hens before sunset. There was no time to hit another spot before shooting hours ended so I took some time to set up a photo with the birds she had pointed that day.

On the way back home I stopped to pick up my new pup from Deseeker.

He's settling right in. Next year he'll get the opportunity to chase the big birds up on the high plains.
Last edited by nhachman on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

campgsp

Re: South Dakota pheasant hunting 2012

Post by campgsp » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:26 am

Looks like it was a very successful hunt. Great pics.
congtrats on your new pup.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:58 am

Nice post...Pretty much a perfect trip! I'm happy for you!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 am

Nice pictures. The one I like best is with Katie pointing and the setter backing. If I were you I'd go back again before the season is over--you still have a second 5 day period on your lic :D

roaner

Post by roaner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Great shots and very successful hunt!

Mind if I ask the general area you were hunting in SD? Public or Private? You obviously saw plenty of birds. I'm heading up there mid November and would be happy with a fraction of your harvest.

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Looks and sounds like it was a GREAT trip! Got me all excited for my new pup. You'll have to keep us updated on your Deseeker pup. Is Katie a Deseeker Brit too? Thanks for posting!
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:40 am

Katie is not a deseeker britt. She is from a backyard litter my uncle had. She has some AKC stuff on top, Shambo's Dark Shadow, Scott's Gingerbread Lady, Jac's A Dan D. On the bottom she has NSTRA blood - Nolan's Last Bullet via Bullet's Bravado as well as Renegade's Kansas Kid. The 4 gen pedigree is linked in my signature. It's not an all-star pedigree but she turned out to be a pretty darn good dog IMO :D

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Cool post man, you have a great dog it looks like! Well done of the pictures they came out perfect.

I started noticing that I can tell its a great "hunt recap post" by how much it makes me hate being stuck at work, so good job I officially hate my office right now!

Cohunter79

Post by Cohunter79 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Congrats on the new pup!

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Great post and pics. Looks like your pup is figuring things out quick!