shorthair first time out

Pappy

shorthair first time out

Post by Pappy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:01 am

I took the my German Shorthair out for the first time on wild birds. I was very impress with him. He hunted close and did everything that I trained him to do. Well we started out on a long walk but the only birds that we saw were some dove in a bush. That sure got him excited but not the birds that we were looking for. Move on to another area. Saw a large covey of quail. After the birds were scattered, the hunt started. Managed to take 3 birds. The dog had one good point and found all of my birds. Tired and beat, I moved to another area. Saw several quail crossing the trail. I managed to get two. So the dog and I went down the hill trying to locate the rest of the covey. He went on point. I hurried up to get to the dog but the bird did not stay very long. The bird was up and flying. A coarse I missed. An easy shot down hill. Well that happen again two more times. I finally got one. The darn bird flew straight up and dropped about 400 yards down the hill. Just what I wanted to do, more walking. Well the dog located this bird, I was very happy, I hate it when you can't find birds after a shot. Tired and beat, started to make my way back to the top of the hill. Dog on point. Made my way to the dog, the bird holding very tight. I kicked the bust and out rocketed the bird. Another one down. I had two to three more fly to my right but they were the lucky ones, I missed. Dog on point again. Boom another one down. Came home with a total of eight quail. The day started out very slow, not even seeing a bird in the first 4 hours of the hunt. Not good for a new dog. But the afternoon turned out great. The hunting conditions were very harsh. Dry, no moisture at all. I was very pleased with my dog performance. 4 solid points on wild birds and located all of my down birds. I guess all of those long hours of training finally paid off. The dog still wanted to hunt but my body said no more. I was happy with the eight birds that we got. According to the bird hunting reports in Ca this year, I was very happy with the amount of birds that I harvested. I am especially happy that the new dog go into some wild birds. Great day for the first time out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quackerjack

Re: shorthair first time out

Post by quackerjack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 am

Great story of success. Thanks for sharing.
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

MNeric

Post by MNeric » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:32 pm

The look on your dog's face says it all, he knows he did well.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Great first time experience for a young dog!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Always fun training dogs. I was very pleased with his performance. I just think of all the time we put in the training field. A lot of work, but its worth it.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:03 am

That's great!... I love the look on your dogs face! They are hilarious! 8)
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Cohunter79

shorthair first time out

Post by Cohunter79 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for sharing in your successful hunt.

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Good looking hound!!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Nice :D .
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson