All around dog?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: All around dog?

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:Yeah OK. I don't make BS claims, anyone is welcome to hunt with my dogs or invite me to hunt with them. I am not the guy that sits behind the keyboard and types BS but only hunts 2 weeks a year. I also train a few client dogs but am more involved with teaching people how to train their dogs by hosting or participating in training days and seminars several times a year.
You sound like an average dog enthusiast to me and not some God sent teacher. Wish I had 30 years experience with dogs but that happened 30 years ago. Many others on here that have accomplished so much more than either you or I. Maybe just take a step down and join the crowd and when one of your peres disagrees with something you say, don't call them stupid, don't tell them to get their pantie's out of a wad, and don't bother telling them how good you and your dogs are. I have found that people and dogs that are really good seldom if ever have to tell you they are as it shows in what they do. It is the ones that are pulling your leg that feel the necessity to tell everyone, and I think they are right, they do need to tell us.

A word of advice would be what you say is not really so bad but the way you say it is, and people don't like it and won't listen and learn no matter how many times you tell them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Georgia Boy wrote:Yeah OK. I don't make BS claims, anyone is welcome to hunt with my dogs or invite me to hunt with them. I am not the guy that sits behind the keyboard and types BS but only hunts 2 weeks a year. I also train a few client dogs but am more involved with teaching people how to train their dogs by hosting or participating in training days and seminars several times a year.
You sound like an average dog enthusiast to me and not some God sent teacher. Wish I had 30 years experience with dogs but that happened 30 years ago. Many others on here that have accomplished so much more than either you or I. Maybe just take a step down and join the crowd and when one of your peres disagrees with something you say, don't call them stupid, don't tell them to get their pantie's out of a wad, and don't bother telling them how good you and your dogs are. I have found that people and dogs that are really good seldom if ever have to tell you they are as it shows in what they do. It is the ones that are pulling your leg that feel the necessity to tell everyone, and I think they are right, they do need to tell us.

A word of advice would be what you say is not really so bad but the way you say it is, and people don't like it and won't listen and learn no matter how many times you tell them.

Ezzy
In some cases you should heed your own advice too. :D If I initially said something that was misinterpreted and offended someone I do apologize, but I also stand by what I was trying to say. I don't claim to be any kind of expert, just someone who has relevant experience with many different breeds (pointer, retriever, hounds, terriers and versatile) and now hunts all types of game with one. If this offends the bird dog purists or occasional hunting folks so be it, I wont apologize for that. I rarely post about my dogs or their accomplishments, I generally don't post about dog shows or trails because I don't participate in them and have no interest. However, when someone asks about "versatile or gun dogs" and training or hunting with them I just might know a thing or two, whether they want to listen or not is entirely up to them.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:14 pm

:lol:

jwilcher

Post by jwilcher » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 pm

I have a Pudelpointer. He hunts chukar here in NV and waterfowl as well. He is 75lbs, strong, good prey drive, loves water and retrieving, pointing is starting to come on. He minds and goes everywhere with me. Hes a superb house dog as well. His shortcomings are and will always be my fault.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:What you describe is exactly what the Deutsch - Drahthaar was developed for, no other breed comes close. Check this out http://www.vdd-gna.org/
I have owned and tested and hunted the breed for many years now along with the Jagd Terrier. We hunt upland and water fowl as well as all types of furred game and boar. There are very few people in the USA that use their dogs for anything other than birds. Don't fall into believing any dog will do it when they haven't been hunted or tested on that type of game in many generations, if ever.I just did a DD breeding out of some of the best performing dogs in the world and should have some pups whelping around the middle of December if you are interested. viewtopic.php?f=120&t=37915

Mike Schlapa

vom Mountain Creek Deutsch - Drahthaars
I agree. I wouldn't want to take a vizsla or my setter ducking hunting today- -5 degrees. Many labs will do anything you need done too -

http://www.vdd-canada.ca/public/the-bre ... osophy.htm
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am

tdhusker wrote: Well, the next weim I see that will blood track, hunt dead and retrieve like a Draat or even a lab will be the first.
While there are a lot of Weims who can't hunt worth anything, there are some who can match up vs any Versatile breed. The male we used in our last litter is an amazing hunting dog, obtained his Prize 1 Utility title (202) with NAVHDA this fall (first time UT testing for dog and owner), and as of a couple weeks ago did his first blood track on a deer (and was successful.)

To the OP, if you are not concerned about breed, I would recommend contacting breeders of different breeds and find the one whose dogs are hunting what you want to hunt... then if at all possible, go out hunting with them so you can see it yourself!
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:04 am

Ruffshooter wrote:GSP GWP WPHG EB SM LM Lab, Chessie.

my favorite one would be SMALL LONG LEGGED AMERICAN LAB.females are much smaller than males but i like male dogs but if you dont care, GET SMALL FEMALE.