Why would you!?

millerms06

Why would you!?

Post by millerms06 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Yesterday, I heard a dog barking that reminded me of pulling into my parent's driveway up to the house. At first I thought someone had their e-collar cranked to 11, no pun intended if you know where that is from :P , and I heeled up my dogs to observe. The dog was WELL behind the hunter. When the dog got up to the hunter I saw that it was definitely a beagle. I couldn't stop laughing because based on how the birds were acting, how could anyone harvest a pheasant with that much noise going on? I haven't told my dad what I saw because he would have made some joking comment like, "If you would have gotten one of my beagles from me, instead of your first Vizsla, you could still upland hunt." Nevertheless, I never heard that hunter do any shooting so I think my choice of breed was a good one.

I basically vacated the area, but if I was greedy I could have ran my dogs to the end of the field and cut off the running birds!! :P
But I just went far away and hoped we wouldn't cross paths again.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Why would you!?

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:33 pm

I reckon the beagle was doing his job wherever it took him.
I double reckon the beagler was happy....and birds may or may not have been his focus.

I heard a vizsla owner once, quite proudly, say there were only two vizslas in his county.
Another fella standing nearby said there orta only be one.
I'm sure the other fella was kidding and would cross paths happily with anyone.
Nothing else would make sense.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Not dogging the beagle as it was one of the dogs I grew up and hunted around. I am sure the beagler was happy too, just like I was when I shot my first snowshoe that was being chased by a couple of my dad's beagles twenty years ago. I am not a breed snob, just proud of my dogs like anyone else. Just thought it was rather odd seeing one in the field as I had never come across someone using one for upland hunting. Specifically because an excellent beagle has traits inherited that would cause it to not track silently.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:38 pm

a friend from Nova Scotia told me the best pheasant dog he ever seen was a beagle, who knows.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:33 pm

When I was a kid I had a beagle. Her and I hunted anything with fur on it! From rabbits to coyotes. Nice bawl mouth on her too. I dug out many a furred critter from holes with a shovel after she found them. But her main quarry was rabbits. If I had her on a coon track and she ran across a rabbit scent she would be off on that in a heartbeat.

My EP sounds like he is absoulutely dieing in the kennel when I pull into the driveway after work! Most god awful noise I have ever heard! Thankfully he doesn't bark much!

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Before my dad decided the beagle was it for him, he used to run black and tan coonhounds on hares. Guys used to poke fun, until the snow got thigh high deep and their beagles couldn't keep up!! :D We had alot of success with coonhounds on hares. But they didn't expect a hare to run up a tree!!! :P To me, if a dog can hunt any game effectively I do not see an issue with it. A barking dog trailing birds would be harder to predict. With rabbits they make circular passes mostly and you can cut them off for a shot: hares make bigger passes than cottontail.