Pups first season

sdsujacks

Pups first season

Post by sdsujacks » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 am

It really is a joy "attempting" to train my first dog, a male black lab that is now 7 months old and now hunting some pheasants over him. He seems to find every hen in the state but not seeing much for roosters around here, a few every now and then. Yesterday he caught a wild rooster in some thick cattails that was struggling to get up and go in the thick cover. As far as I know theres nothing wrong with a flusher catching a pheasant? I would assume it is a good thing?!? At least it was pretty cool for me to see my young dog do. I am lucky enough to be able to hunt central SD every day for about an hour and half after work, while the public land is hit hard, we do still see a few birds. I've been able to hunt private a few times and that land is fantastic. Anyways it is amazing how much my dog improves every single day while hunting with him and watch as he starts to figure out quartering, using the wind, etc.

Pappy

Re: Pups first season

Post by Pappy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:19 am

A great accomplishment training your own dog and seeing him work in the field for you.
Good luck on those pheasant. I hunted North Dakota and had great success. Never saw so many pheasant in my life.