Any Missouri Opener Reports?

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:25 pm

I went out for a quick minute the day before the opener, but it was warm, calm and we had no luck.

Anybody kick up any birds anywhere to speak of, or at least give it a go?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

donnie_19

Re: Any Missouri Opener Reports?

Post by donnie_19 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Went opening day and today. Not looking good around St Louis area. Hunted private land both days where I have always gotten into a couple of covey's early in the year. Shut out both times. Going to give tomorrow a try around Centralia at another of my honey holes.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Went out on the opener Thursday and again today. It has been tough going, finding less birds than I had been during pre-season workouts and the dry conditions have made it hard to pick up singles.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Went around Centralia today. Lots of great looking cover, plenty of access to private land, two small coveys and 1 woodcock. Dogs didn't point so no shots fired. Saw where a few singles went and dogs didn't seem to be scenting very well and bumped a few. Glad to make contact, but very small coveys. All the crops are out.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Found some woodcock today, it is really, really dry and my Kate dog pointed two woodcocks today. I did expect any woodcock this fall. I am not finding many covies in Northwest Missouri but they are decent sized, some of the quail are small. Pheasant and quail have been jumpy and scenting conditions are making it tough to find dead birds.

Kona dawg

Post by Kona dawg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:28 pm

6 covies Thursday. 5 covies Friday. 3 of us killed 23. No single work at all. Heat and green fescue killed us. Big covies with big birds. Hunted Illinois sat. Birds were a lot smaller. Still need grow a bit

Kona dawg

Post by Kona dawg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Didnt take many pics
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352079257.718415.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:35 pm

I hunted some very nice ground on Thursday and we onyly found one nice sized covey. I hunted by myself on Friday afternoon and found three good sized coveys. I have spoken with a few other guys around here and they have been finding birds everytime they've been out. I will be glad when firearms deer season is over as that is when I have my best luck. THings are pretty dry and green up in northeast Missouri.

setterbud

Post by setterbud » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:10 am

well after finding a few covies before season, i was feeling pretty good, but as usual it changes, opening day i found one covey, it was a nice one however, , went friday morning to another ca area, didnt find any, older dog got a little stiff and a eye ulcer, vet on sat morning, went sunday afternoon found one small covey, dogs did god on them
again seeing less hunters, thurs seen only one other and on fri and sun i was at whetstone didnt see any other bird hunters, even last year there were several hunters there.
hopefully the rain will help, very dry
leaving for kansas week from today

BMURPH

Post by BMURPH » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Went out yesterday for 1st time. Was only on the ground for a couple of hours. Saw one covey of quail but did get into some pheasants, which I haven't seen on this property in several years. Alot of the area has been cut for hay. Also leaving for Kansas on Friday. Hopefully it will be better.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Only managed to get out Friday afternoon it was hot. No contacts

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 pm

BMURPH wrote:Went out yesterday for 1st time. Was only on the ground for a couple of hours. Saw one covey of quail but did get into some pheasants, which I haven't seen on this property in several years. Alot of the area has been cut for hay. Also leaving for Kansas on Friday. Hopefully it will be better.
Don't hold your breath for better prospects over here.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Went back to the property I hunted opening day. All the surrounding crops are out. 2 small covey's, flushed wild and no shot fired. 50 degrees. Looking slim. Getting ready to head for the game farm.