Birds in OK & KS

Finelinegundogs

Birds in OK & KS

Post by Finelinegundogs » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:19 am

With moving to OK earlier this year I want to get familiar with a few places to go hunt, prefer public walk in land.

So does anyone know how birds are out around Woodward or Beaver, OK or up in Larned or Meade, KS? I realize the drought has really hurt the numbers but figure there's got to be some birds somewhere.

Feel free to post or PM me.

Really appreciate it!

Shane

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Birds in OK & KS

Post by ACooper » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:50 am

We recently had a conversation about NW OK.

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=37452&p=355668&hil ... ma#p355668

I was out in the Panhandle around Guymon and Hooker, drove around the Beaver and Optima WMAs and up to Liberal, KS. I was in areas that should have been able to see birds. I did not see a single pheasant or quail. Now granted I was working and not running dogs, but the fact is, as much as I am out on the road and I should have at least seen a pheasant somewhere.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Larned, and Meade are DRY and have been, was thru there a few weeks didnt look good! You can pm me if you want.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

okchiefsfan

Post by okchiefsfan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:51 pm

My farmer friends and I have never seen it this bad out here around Guymon. I drive 30 miles a day north of Guymon and have seen 2 pheasant the last 4 months. Normally, I would see several pheasant daily. I have not seen a quail in months. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a cottontail either.