dealing with an unwelcome dog

Yale1978

dealing with an unwelcome dog

Post by Yale1978 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:15 pm

I was at a tower shoot recently. During a break shooters, dogs and dog handlers were milling about. One of the handlers had put his dog on "sit" and "stay" when another dog came over to investigate, causing the dog to come off of stay. Feeling that the visiting dog was not being controlled, the dog handler threw a cup of hot chocolate on the visiting dog. Witnessing this I was surprised and wondered if throwing a hot beverage on a dog is considered acceptable in this instance?

brad27

Re: dealing with an unwelcome dog

Post by brad27 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 am

Not even remotely acceptable.
Sounds like someone needs to get over themselves.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:38 am

It would not do someone any good to throw hot chocolate on one of my dogs...... he'd be better off to spit in my face......

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:10 am

I'm not surprised that tower shooters drink hot chocolate.
I'm even less surprised that tower shooters would need to ask if that is acceptable.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:27 am

Someone should have poured hot chocolate on that Guy. That was very unacceptable. If it was me oh man that Guy would have got his :evil:

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:46 am

Anyone mind explaining what a "tower shoot" is?
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 am

That guys day would have gotten bad right then. Totally unacceptable, also for the people running the shoot should have taken care of the problem if the owner did not.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:55 am

Mountaineer wrote:I'm not surprised that tower shooters drink hot chocolate.
I'm even less surprised that tower shooters would need to ask if that is acceptable.
Funny

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:39 am

KwikIrish wrote:Anyone mind explaining what a "tower shoot" is?

Basically there are a series of shooting stations set around a center point and someone in the "hub" starts throwing birds out and as they fly off the people in the stations shoot AT them, rotating every so often. My understanding is that it is supposed to simulate a European driven hunt.

Jim

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:40 am

A can of whoop arse trumps a cup of hot chocolate any day. If ya know what I mean.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 am

Thumbs up , and nominated for comment of the day lol.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 am

To me the guys reaction was over the top and unacceptable. I also have a problem with a dog not being in control by the owner, it is the handlers responsibility to keep a dog under control, if the dog cannot stay where it belongs then it should have been on a leash and the whole situation would have been avoided.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: Oh my GAWD! another dog came over and my dog got up from "sit"!.. The end of the world is near! Yeah... Fight wouldda been on pretty quick I think with most people...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:It would not do someone any good to throw hot chocolate on one of my dogs...... he'd be better off to spit in my face......

Jim
X10!!!

Tower shoots are about as similar to a true driven shoot as two dissimilar things in a pod.
I have peole call us all the time and ask if we do them. I can't stand them personally.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 am

It's just like parenting these days the other kids my kid bad. OK maybe not, but words would have passed.

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:57 am

ultracarry wrote:
Thumbs up , and nominated for comment of the day lol.
That cracked me up!

What grown man drinks hot chocolate? Oh ya I guess the kind that considers tower shooting hunting.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:57 am

Yea tower shoots ain't my thing either, but im not gonna put my nose up in the air......

If someone wants to shoot their chickens like that , fine......

Other folks like to buy it wrapped in plastic in the chicken cooler at the grocery..... Least the guy at the tower shoot got outdoors with a dog and a gun and enjoyed himself.

The Holier than thou air is thick these days it seems..... Personally we need as many folks in our corner as possible these days, and dismissing someone like that for some superiority feeling is just plain silly and shortsighted.... You don't have to want to do it yourself (and nobody is trying to convince you to ) but that tower shooter is on our side remember.

Just my 2 cents.

As far as the coffee well that wouldn't of ended well.....a gentle word would have sufficed and been the gentleman's way.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

SCT

Post by SCT » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:31 am

I guess I might have crabbed the wandering dog by the collar and asked who owned him. Then asked if he'd put a leash on him.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 am

Far from acceptable! The correct thing in that situation would be to find the owner of the dog and politely ask if he would keep his dog under control. However, if nobody had their dogs at their sides the correct thing would have been to just let his dog mill about or if he was worried about it, put it back in his truck.

I would have had to have had a few words with that guy. I'm sure he is a real stand up person :roll: . Big man throwing a hot beverage on a dog. I feel sorry for his dog. Who knows what that dog might have to endure.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:48 pm

What grown man drinks hot chocolate? Oh ya I guess the kind that considers tower shooting hunting
I doubt that drinking hot chocolate or tower shooting makes anybody any less of a man.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:24 pm

birddog1968 wrote:...The Holier than thou air is thick these days it seems..... Personally we need as many folks in our corner as possible these days, and dismissing someone like that for some superiority feeling is just plain silly and shortsighted.... You don't have to want to do it yourself (and nobody is trying to convince you to ) but that tower shooter is on our side remember....

Actually, we do not need the tower shooters, if we really have all of them :idea: , as much as we need the non-hunters...as opposed to the anti-hunters.
We will never gain the anti-hunters but the non-hunters can be and are easily lost with some actions and "sports" enjoyed by "hunters."
Nugent machine-gunning hogs from heliocopters, for example....shooting at pheasants flung from a tower, possibly being another.
Rather than attach mistaken holiness, might want to consider who can help the hunters most and who do we need to bring over....and, looking honestly, who can hurt the hunters by their actions and their own agendas....legal or not.

Personally, I prefer a good cup of Tim Horton's or a nice cuppa Russian Caravan.....and see little profit pounding shorttails sailing to a field.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:43 pm

What grown man drinks hot chocolate? Oh ya I guess the kind that considers tower shooting hunting.[/quote]

Im a grown man, and Ive been known to drink a cup of hot chocolate..... even been known to toss a few marshmallows in. Ive also worked my lab on a few tower shoots. heck ive been known to lay on the floor and play with dolls with my daughter and my neice.....

I doubt there are many that would question how much of a man I was to may face, any more than they would throw a hot drink on my dog.

JIm

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:55 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:...I doubt there are many that would question how much of a man I was to may face, any more than they would throw a hot drink on my dog.
I would agree.
You will find tho that spinning away any comment from the original question asked...and who would not know the answer to that question? :idea: ....is profitable for many.
Even spinning away from a poor stab at humor to give a comment darker implications than actually present is common.
Simply owning and using a scattergun should be never a free pass.
Too often these days....it is politically correct to never question a fellow "hunter."
Bad move.
2 cents.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:37 pm

I don't like tower shoots but I have seen alot of people who say how bad they are go to a pigeon shoot and think they are great. The difference is those are shoots and have nothing to do with hunting. Two completely different sports and who are any of us to critize the other just because you don't do it. Just make sure shoots are refered to as shoots and not hunting.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 pm

If that were my dog that feller would have been taking a dirt nap REAL quick!!!