A Fun Week in Northern WI.

Grange

A Fun Week in Northern WI.

Post by Grange » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Got back last night from a week at the cottage cutting wood and ruffed grouse hunting. I had no shortage of action and even though I missed several opportunities I still have several meals in the freezer. I'll be up there for another long weekend later this week so it looks like I'll be eating some grouse this week.

They're ready.

And they're off.

Compared to some of the cover we hunt this is considered wide open space. Summit (my black lab) is hunting the front.

This is a blurry picture, but it is Tico after the flush, shot, and fall.

Another picture of a productive point.

A few pictures of some of the results of our hard "work".

And finally after several days of hunting the dogs are enjoying a comfortable sleep in front of the fire.

rschmeider

Re: A Fun Week in Northern WI.

Post by rschmeider » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Went to Northern WI in Oct.. Had a Great time..Met allot of good peolpe...Locals gave me the hook up on spots and offered to hunt their land.
Need to take strabs beer up for them next year. :D

Here is some birds we harvested.....We got so many different phases that day ...The one down to the right...Never seen this color.

It was like blond/sand brown..hen pheasant color..My friend Garrett is getting it mounted...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Beauty dogs! Nice hunt!

BirdBuster

Post by BirdBuster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Grange,
Is that a diaper on the setter?

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:33 am

BirdBuster wrote:Grange,
Is that a diaper on the setter?

More than likely, the setter is a female, and she is probably in a heat cycle hence the diaper.

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Yes it is a diaper. She wasn't supposed to go into heat until later in November and I was thinking of breeding her, but then she went into heat the day I started my vacation. That pretty much ruined any plans I working on. At least being in heat didn't hamper our hunt.

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Looks like a great hunt Grange. Glad to see Tico is doing well. Did you get Summit to flush the birds Tico points for you?

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:13 am

Look's like a great time...I'd give my leftie to have a cottage in the woods like that, very nice!

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 am

uplandnut wrote:Looks like a great hunt Grange. Glad to see Tico is doing well. Did you get Summit to flush the birds Tico points for you?
No I don't want my lab flushing the birds Tico points. I have her sit off to the side while I go in to flush. It is a lot less complicated that way.
...I'd give my leftie to have a cottage in the woods like that, very nice!
Thanks. The cottage is something I am very proud of. It was built by my immediate family from the footings up when I was as kid. My parents took an initial loan for the lumber and then we spent of every weekend and a week of vacation that first summer between my 8th and 9th grade building it. By the end of the summer we had it fully enclosed and insulated. The trickiest part was getting the trusses and rafters of a 11x12 pitched roof up without the use of a crane. From there we did a little bit each year to avoid taking out another loan. The last piece we finished was the field stone on the fireplace outside which we did this past summer. Next year we'll rip put the carpet in the back bedrooms and possibly the loft to put down wood flooring. The only two things we didn't do ourselves was dig the hole and the plumbing. It helps when you have a Journeyman Cement Mason turned Journeyman Carpenter running the show.