Finally got out here in IN.

jimbo&rooster

Finally got out here in IN.

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

I decided to head out monday morning looking for some wild birds. I didn't have alot of time, and some other circumstances left me looking for a quick run close to home. I decided to hit some public ground not far from the house. From the looks of the sign in sheet, It had been hit hard over the weekend. Well long story short, I managed to move 2 coveys of birds in just under an hour with a good broke find and a clean back from my FT prospect, and a nice find from my other young dog. I dont usually get carried away shooting up high pressure public birds but I did scratch one down per covey.

From what Ive heard talking to a couple guys who got out this weekend, and what Ive seen through the early fall, it looks like we might have some respectable bird numbers this year.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

steamer

Re: Finally got out here in IN.

Post by steamer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:52 am

so what public land was this on? :D my son and i got drawn in at goose pond on the 10th and 11th .we moved a couple of covey and got some good dog work in. i even knocked down a couple . it was real windy and pretty warm though. glad to hear you got into some wild birds.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:37 am

My buddy in SE Indiana has reported seeing quite a few coveys this fall. We went out Sat morning and only found one group out feeding on spots he had put up 2 coveys within the past few days. I suspect is was a timing issue. Birds had gotten out in the corn fields to feed.

Have been out three times to Benton Co to pheasant hunt. Did the opener and saw at least 60 birds, mostly cocks. Did one small ditch by myself and saw five cocks. Last Wed a buddy got drawn for one of the IN pheasant parcels in Benton Co. I was told it was a poor area with few birds but held out hope. Only saw 4 birds on it, 3 hens and one cock I allowed my buddy to shoot at, and he missed of course. Went a few other places and only saw 8 pheasants total. Got one.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Well once the orange army settles a bit and firearms season for deer is over, Ill start hunting some private land I have permission to hunt, but king deer takes priority , so Ill just sit the bench and wait.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.