The Carrizo Plain Area Info "California"

12Gauge

The Carrizo Plain Area Info "California"

Post by 12Gauge » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Hello,
I grew up in Bakersfield CA. I return often to visit family. I will be going down there the week of Christmas and plan to hunt chucker and quail in the Carrizo Plain area. I have never hunted it before and am looking for any helpful information I can get. I looked at all the Bureau of Land Management info on there website and it was helpful but I am looking for some insider info. Thanks

reba

Re: The Carrizo Plain Area Info "California"

Post by reba » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:43 pm

I live over on the coast and have hunted Carrizo.

Right now I am in Idaho hunting birds.

My source tells me the birds on the Carrizo are few this years.

To find them you will need to hunt close to the springs.

Chukar may be better on the east side.

Best wishes

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:19 pm

I hunt it often, this year is a bad year due do this years shortage of rain.If you do go out make sure you check the weather, that place can get like peanut butter really fast once it becomes wet. Like the last post you'll be better off hunting east of Bakersfield. Good luck.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

12Gauge

Post by 12Gauge » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Thanks for the info. When you guys say go east are you talking over 58 on the other side of the mountains or out Breckenridge area? I am sure you guys know I am not expecting a map to your honey hole but the more direction I get the better off I am. Thanks

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Birds in the Crocker Springs area by Fellows Ca. Green Horn Mountain has some quail, this is toward lake Isabel. I saw a couple of coveys while I was cutting wood this year. Over all a pretty bad year. There are some birds out there but very few.
Good Luck.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Pappy wrote:Birds in the Crocker Springs area by Fellows Ca. Green Horn Mountain has some quail, this is toward lake Isabel. I saw a couple of coveys while I was cutting wood this year. Over all a pretty bad year. There are some birds out there but very few.
Good Luck.

+1 Crocker is in Carrizo.We should have enough rain by Christmas so the birds will be scattered.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

12Gauge

Post by 12Gauge » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. My EP is is seven so I like to keep her days short or give her a day off In between longer days. She will be pumped to be back hunting in some open country. We have been hunting grouse in the woods wich can be pretty rough on a dog. Also Western Washington pheasant release sites in the rain mud and swamps have kept her entertained the last few months but she was raised hunting wild birds in Eastern Washington where the landscape is a lot like the Bakersfield area. I am looking forward to it. Thanks again!

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 am

If you want to BS, I'll be driving a gray Jeep. Good luck.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER