North Dakota Pheasant Hunt

deseeker

North Dakota Pheasant Hunt

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:17 am

My buddy from GA. & I had a good pheasant hunt in the SW corner of ND over Thanksgiving. We hunted private ground and saw tons of birds(we did see birds on some of the PLOTS grounds(Walk in ground open to the public) we drove by going to our hunting areas. The birds were in large groups and pretty spooky, but once we got them busted up and chased into smaller areas, we did pretty good. We probably averaged seeing 300 birds a day on the areas we hunted & probably another 300 a day just driving to areas we were going to hunt. Weather was fairly cool--8 degrees to 37 degrees during the 4 days we hunted. This area was mostly wheat stubble with dry creeks running thru it(a few corn fields). The CRP was fairly short and it was fairly easy seeing the dogs in most areas. We also saw 3 groups of huns(came up too far away) and 1 small group of sharpies(also too far away). We also had 4 jack rabbit points :roll: --one was about 1/2 as big as my female britt :!: :!: Winds varied from 8 MPH to 40+ MPH(tough hunting that day--they got out pretty FAST). We were only hunting 1/2 days so we thought we did pretty good(23 roosters) for the conditions and short hunting days. My buddy considered it a super great hunt because for once he didn't run into any skunks(last year his dog got sprayed, the year before HE got sprayed) :lol: . Her's a few pictures.
North Dakota trip 2012 001.JPG
North Dakota trip 2012 003.JPG
North Dakota trip 2012 007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deseeker

Re: North Dakota Pheasant Hunt

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:26 am

I'm attaching a couple more pictures--I hope you can see them okay. Below is a shelter belt next to a farmer's house. If you can zoom in on the wheat stubble the dark spots are all rooster pheasants(approx 40 in the picture--can't see the hens because they blend into the wheat. Between this side of the shelter belt, in the shelter belt, across the rosd from his house, and on the other side of his feed lot there were approx 250 birds :!: :!: :!:
North Dakota trip 2012 008.JPG
Here is a picture of spurs on a couple of pld birds we got--they are around a inch long(I'm guessing this was their 3rd season)
North Dakota trip 2012 005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Nice looking dogs! That's a lot of birds, sounds like you had a blast! (pun intended). Thanks for sharing.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 pm

That looks like gods country up there! Sounds like an awesome hunt to me!

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Sounds like a great hunt, where does you friend live in ga?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:15 pm

vols fan wrote:Sounds like a great hunt, where does you friend live in ga?
Peach Tree City

ptrthgr8

Post by ptrthgr8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Must have been somewhere down near "bleep"? I live in the eastern part of North Dakota. I don't get over to the western part of the state all that often, but we came back across I94 after picking up our Weimaraner pup in Montana during the first week of this past October. I've got a lot of friends who live over in the Bismarck/"bleep" area... I suspect I'll be making a lot of calls in preparation for next year. Would love to hunt that part of the state for my first time hunting pheasants with my first bird dog. :)

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing!

~ Greg ~
"It is natural for man to indulge in the illusions of hope and pride. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it." Patrick Henry, 1775

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Come on over Greg! Where did you get your pup in MT? My buddy is looking to get one from PM Kennels i believe is the name.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 pm

My wife and I just got back from NW N Dak, and there were a lot birds. Unfortunately there was also a fair amount of snow. This stuff was anywhere from 6" to 2' deep, and had a hard crust on top that allowed the birds to run to their hearts content. The humans and the dogs had it rough, the snow would not support your weight, but would hold you up, then suddenly drop you through. Very loud, slow and tough going.

I have never seen the birds so spooky. I think the comination of the ease at which they could run away and the fact that most of their normal cover was packed with wet crusty snow made them bunch up and run like demons. We eventually resorted to pinching and blocking moves to get our birds, only about 5-6 were shot over points. We ended up with 22 pheasant and 3-4 huns (which were also abundant but spooky) and a few sharptails (even spookier).

We were saddened to find one of our favorite abandoned farms has now been posted, there were a lot more posted properties again this year....

ptrthgr8

Post by ptrthgr8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Bberry20 wrote:Come on over Greg! Where did you get your pup in MT? My buddy is looking to get one from PM Kennels i believe is the name.
That's where we got Remy - PM Weimaraners in Carter, MT. Dawna Miller is good people. Can't recommend her enough for anyone who's looking for a Weimaraner pup.

There's some (barely) decent pheasant ground out near Devil's Lake (so I'm told), so that would be handy for an afternoon of upland fun... but I know I'll need to make the trek west again if I really want to get out there and find some good birds.

Can never have too many friends out in the prettier part of the state, that's for sure! :)

~ Greg ~
"It is natural for man to indulge in the illusions of hope and pride. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it." Patrick Henry, 1775

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Looks like a great hunt. Great state for hunting pheasant. Its been a while since I was back there, I am sure this year was great because of the mild winters they had last year.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Doug- Looks like you had yourself quite a time up there. Thanks for sharing the pics, those spurs are HUGE!

Nick