Grouse Season Wind Down

crappieguy

Grouse Season Wind Down

Post by crappieguy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:24 pm

We've only got two more weeks of upland season left this year. Hunting is getting quite tough. The snow's quite deep and the trails are tough even in 4X4 ,,,almost too deep for my ATV. We got stuck quite bad this morning which gobbled up at least two hours of hunting time. Moved to a different location about 45 minutes south of the Winnipeg River and located a couple of ruffies not on the forest floor but up in the fir trees. Belle was doing a lot of dancing on her hind legs getting wind of them. Nailed this one. Amazing how things change in 3 months.Very easy to very tough.
Any more snow and I'll be packing everything away ..Belle and I have only missed 2 weekends since 06 Sept, and one weekend was because of a punctured/ infected toe.The other was because of heavy rain. We did get a few weekdays in here and there , so all in all we had a very good fall. This was her first year out.
we spent a lot of time just pointing and flushing birds so that we had wild birds to train with.
Last weekend she pointed two spruce grouse which we shot and the weekend before that two more spruce grouse. Over the season she bumped , blundered many grouse but now she has slowed down and checks out every blowdown, pucker brush, tag alder clumps...she's starting to hunt now.
We've also taken 6 sharptail this fall....may go after them one more time this next week.
It takes a lot of wild birds to get a dog hunting rather than running and bumping. :D
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

m2244

Re: Grouse Season Wind Down

Post by m2244 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 pm

I've been bird hunting for about 25 years now. I hope to still be doing it when I'm 70. Happy for ya.

Merry Christmas.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Wish I didn't look 70, as I'm "only",,,,,,68...lol!
I've been hunting upland for about 52 years now.
Try to stay in shape walk the treadmill every day, never drink, drug, smoke or gamble and I'm not even what you'd call religious and I still have friends.
Tae Kwon Do two nights a week.
Upland and bear hunting are my passions. Can't get any better.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

m2244

Post by m2244 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:50 am

I just reread what I posted yesterday. I did not mean to imply that you looked 70. Sometimes I can see why my wife calls me socially inept (she uses another word but I don't want to offend anyone that reads this).

A Sam Adams once in a while is not really considered drinking right?

Happy hunting.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 pm

boy, its 67 degrees here in pa today and i am hunting my buck[deer]in short sleeves etc.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:41 pm

crappieguy wrote:Wish I didn't look 70, as I'm "only",,,,,,68...lol!
I've been hunting upland for about 52 years now.
Try to stay in shape walk the treadmill every day, never drink, drug, smoke or gamble and I'm not even what you'd call religious and I still have friends.
Tae Kwon Do two nights a week.
Upland and bear hunting are my passions. Can't get any better.

boy, you are boring :lol: :lol: :lol:

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:08 pm

-20 C her today...just north of us by my hunting camp there has been 90 cm ( about 4 ft), of snow in 2 days....you guys are lucky. That's why we head to the Dominican Republic every winter.

homestead setters

Post by homestead setters » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Do you bear hunt with Plotts?

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:15 pm

crappieguy wrote:-20 C her today...just north of us by my hunting camp there has been 90 cm ( about 4 ft), of snow in 2 days....you guys are lucky. That's why we head to the Dominican Republic every winter.
boy thats cold.my brothers wife is over there as we write,she left on tuesday.
free trip paid by her company. brother did not go as he wanted to hunt.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 am

nOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY PLOTTS...we set up tree stands and bait barrels chaines to trees and cameras, to see what's coming in to the bait and what time of the day. We do 100 % of our bear hunting on crown land.

homestead setters

Post by homestead setters » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:56 am

Plorr Bear Hounds.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Ca't use dogs for bear hunting in Manitoba! :!: