Thanks Kansas

hunterw/newhobby

Thanks Kansas

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks to the fine people in kansas for the walk-in program. I went to a few places in NE kansas yesterday and its bad but still way better than working. Went to my favorite spot that usually holds several birds and the CRP had been cut and grazed by the farmer. Not blaming him for making a living but it showed no signs of birds yesterday. Definitely a downer but kinda expected that based on what I'd been reading. Scouted a few more areas that had similar situations so I went a little further south than normal and found a new spot with a couple covey's of quail. Shot one out of the first covey (15-20 birds) and then worked the dog on singles for the rest of that hunt without shooting another bird (on purpose not from lack of ability). The dog did pretty solid considering how dry it was and the whole day beat the crap out of working. I think as long as you have realistic expectations and are going out to hunt with a little work Kansas is still a nice place to HUNT not kill limits of birds. You might even find a new hole to visit when things rebound a little.
Ross

Big bloc

Re: Thanks Kansas

Post by Big bloc » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for coming to this fine state. There are birds all over here you just have to look for them. Been out every weekend and always see birds . Yes it may take a couple of hours but I have never been skunked. (yet). I hope some day to make it to your state for some guail hunting. Good luck on more hunts
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

CowboyBirdDogs

Re: Thanks Kansas

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Sounds like a good time.