Best Hunting Dog? (Opinions)

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Hello,
I am curious as to see what you all think of as the "best" all around hunting dog, obviously some dogs do particularly well in certain areas (pointers in pheasant hunting etc.)
I know there is many opinions which is what i would love to hear! In my mind the Lab is the best all around hunting dog, excellent duck/goose dogs, fair pheasant hunters and they can be taught to flush or point (although i prefer flushing myself) and they are just a great companion. Take in mind i am a little pregudous but i dont think they get any better than a lab. I have heard that Chesapeake's can be better duck dogs, but they aren't the best in a pheasant hunting environment and i have personal experience that they are more of a business dog, they hunt because they are told to not because they want to please their owner.
I hope to hear from you all soon!
Sincerely,
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

duckn66

Re: Best Hunting Dog? (Opinions)

Post by duckn66 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:25 pm

If I could own only one dog it would be a Chessie. Every one I had was a great pheasant dog, outstanding waterfowl dog, great house dog and loyal as the day is long. The Chessie hunts because that is what he is bred to do. My last Chessie would not hunt for anyone but me.

However, I'm fortunate enough to have at least one dog for each type of hunting I do, except for squirrels. Don't have that Mountain Cur yet. But, I have the other bases covered.

The best one is the one that makes you happy and does everything you want it or need it to do.
Last edited by duckn66 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Personally I dont believe that there is a best dog for best hunting thing (I am prepared to be flamed for this). I really believe it is a lot of the make up of the bond between the dog and its person, and the training, and genetics. Example, I think you could get a English Springer Spaniel to pull ducks out of the water all day long just as well as a lab if it comes from a good background, has good training and a good bond.
On that same note I do understand that not all dogs can do all jobs equally like a GSP can not pull ducks out of water like a chessie or lab when it gets really cold. But this is just 1 persons' opinion.

Corry

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:23 pm

There are different breeds for specific purposes. If there was a best one we would all have them but each of our hunting opportunities are different so get whatever you feel fits your opportunities.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 am

ezzy333 wrote:There are different breeds for specific purposes. If there was a best one we would all have them but each of our hunting opportunities are different so get whatever you feel fits your opportunities.
Ezzy
+1 agreed
Trying to pinpoint "the best breed" will get you no where. Every individual will tell you the breed they use is the best and no good outcome will come of it.
If you dig flushers get a flusher if you dig pointers get a pointer. Its what works for you that makes that breed the best. "In your own mind" that counts.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:48 am

Your question is like asking a golfer if he had to choose only one club what would it be.

frosso

Post by frosso » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 am

+1
gotpointers wrote:Your question is like asking a golfer if he had to choose only one club what would it be.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:02 am

gotpointers wrote:Your question is like asking a golfer if he had to choose only one club what would it be.
Good question! What would you pick? I'd probably lean towards a 7 iron.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:28 pm

I can send some strong feelings about this don't get me wrong I don't want anybody to fight over this I was just looking to see what everybody's opinion as the best all round dog is

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:29 am

Best hunting dog I ever had was a mutt that someone dropped off in our yard as a kid...... would tree squirrels and coons, would run rabits, flushed and retrieved quail and retrieved jump shot ducks on our farm ponds...... She also dug up flowerbeds ate tomatoes out of the garden and bit every UPS and Fed Ex driver that came to my parents house over her 15yr tenure. Boy I miss that dog.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:42 am

Mine of course! :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am

if I gotta pick one....i'd say a lab, exposed to different things they will do just about everything......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:55 am

Ghosted3 wrote:Example, I think you could get a English Springer Spaniel to pull ducks out of the water all day long just as well as a lab if it comes from a good background, has good training and a good bond.
Corry
+1 - my springers will pull ducks/geese out of any sort of water without hesitation

obviously like many have said, it comes down to personal preference and what you like to hunt...for me I will always own at least one springer, but would love to eventually get a setter or EP. As long as you know who you're getting the pup from and you have a good basic groundwork for training, I think any breed will get you where you want to go.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Heard it on the forum,"labs are born half trained, springers die half trained" I can attest to this. :mrgreen:

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:54 pm

nikegundog wrote:Heard it on the forum,"labs are born half trained, springers die half trained" I can attest to this. :mrgreen:
Haha, having owned both a pointing lab and two springers...I would opt with a springer hands down...no questions asked. A good buddy of mine has two labs - a male chocolate and a female black - that I hunt with quite a bit. They have good noses, but arent even in the same league upland hunting wise (I also can attribute the handler at fault for this as well). That being said, I mostly hunt wild running pheasants and am not an avid waterfowler (prob 3-4 times a season), but I can ALWAYS count on my dogs to sit quiet and retrieve anything that falls, regardless of weather. Not saying one is better than the other, but if I had to choose in my situation...ESS all the way :wink:

onpointgun

Post by onpointgun » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:26 am

Deutsch Drahthaar

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:13 pm

moneysshot wrote:
nikegundog wrote:Heard it on the forum,"labs are born half trained, springers die half trained" I can attest to this. :mrgreen:
Haha, having owned both a pointing lab and two springers...I would opt with a springer hands down...no questions asked. A good buddy of mine has two labs - a male chocolate and a female black - that I hunt with quite a bit. They have good noses, but arent even in the same league upland hunting wise (I also can attribute the handler at fault for this as well). That being said, I mostly hunt wild running pheasants and am not an avid waterfowler (prob 3-4 times a season), but I can ALWAYS count on my dogs to sit quiet and retrieve anything that falls, regardless of weather. Not saying one is better than the other, but if I had to choose in my situation...ESS all the way :wink:
I with you buddy, if choosing between a "pointing lab" and a springer..springer hands down, between a lab and a pointing springer.. lab hands down.

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 pm

I with you buddy, if choosing between a "pointing lab" and a springer..springer hands down, between a lab and a pointing springer.. lab hands down.
Would love to see a springer that points....but if one did...theyd probably call it a Brittany? Either way ESS hands down :wink:
Last edited by moneysshot on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Mine of course! :mrgreen:
+1...except mine...of course!

homestead setters

Post by homestead setters » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:11 pm

The best bird hunting dog in my opinion is the english setter. If you want a trailing dog for large or small game, you need a plott hound. If you need a retriever get a lab. These are my picks. I have never owned a lab but have seen several work out of a duck blind. I have bird hunted behind setters for years and coon hunted behind plott hounds all my life. At one time I had a pack of plotts that would flat catch a hog.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:22 pm

There is no best hunting dog....nor any best gauge, shotshell load, boot, scattergun or cap(other than the Stormy Kromer).
There may be a best hunting dog for you and the particulars of your own situation at any point in time.
That condition is open to change.
I have no interest in either best or perfect in a dog tho as that would require too much from me and I would likely disappoint.
I do have an interest in a birddog that makes me grin and grimace both...often within minutes of each.
That would be the english setter from Coverdog breeding.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:25 pm

I have been wanting a springer with the coat of Lab for years. I love my cocker but even with a hair cut he is a burr magnet.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:33 am

birdshot wrote:I have been wanting a springer with the coat of Lab for years. I love my cocker but even with a hair cut he is a burr magnet.
Can cockers pull ducks outta the water or are they too small for ducks?

Corry

Back

Post by Back » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:19 am

I'm really surprised no one has said GSP...

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 am

My grandfather and his friends all run GSP's. great dogs, i love them to death but i couldnt stand having one because im just not a pheasant hunter that likes a pointing dog, plus i duck hunt too much, although his last gsp Elsa, just died we are taking banks up to N Dakota on some private ground next season to get some ringnecks!
Isaac and Banks

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 am

It all depends on what type of hunting you do and like.

For me there is nothing better than quail hunting with some pheasants thrown in for good measure. To turn your dogs loose to stretch out and find the birds, point and hold them till you get there to walk out front to flush and shoot the birds, is the height of hunting. A little backing from the other dogs is awesome as well.

That is best done with pointing dogs, and to me the Setters light my fire.

Here is a video from yesterday, thats Ace backing my pup Indy on the intro picture.
Steve

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:36 am

At about the 1:40 mark on the video I see what appears to be a sasquatch peeking from behind a tree but it's a little out of focus.

Cool Vid Setternut! Nice dog work too.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 am

duckn66 wrote:At about the 1:40 mark on the video I see what appears to be a sasquatch peeking from behind a tree but it's a little out of focus.

Cool Vid Setternut! Nice dog work too.

Thanks, it was a lot of fun. I need to do little better job enforcing good manors, but they did pretty well most of the hunt.
Steve

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Great Question....

1. But Are we talking strictly upland Wild Birds, and if so, which birds?

OR

2. Mixed bag hunting- ie many upland species + bunnies, ducks, waterfowl- jump shot or blind hunting

OR

3. The hole ball of wax, ie including tracking deer, baying hogs, taking on nest raiding vermin too in addition to birds/waterfowl/fur?
'Late season birds will not hold for a dog that is less than 200 yards from the handler'
-Slistoe 12-26-12

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Can cockers pull ducks outta the water or are they too small for ducks?
Corry[/quote]

I have never hunted ducks with my Cocker, but Am thinking he would be fine for jump shooting. His mouth is pretty large.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Setternut, I love those setters. Reminds me of my ,now gone, Mosely dog.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:23 pm

birdshot wrote:Setternut, I love those setters. Reminds me of my ,now gone, Mosely dog.
Nothing looks better than a setter or two running out in the sandhills of NE!!!
They are still making setters you know :D
Steve

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Outdoor Lifes -Larry Mueller
He says the Drahthaar is the Worlds Most Versatile breeds.

From Wolves in USSR

TO Birds with Longtail Backing

TO Very Large and Dangerous Hogs

To very Hard to Kill vermin like Badgers
Last edited by Rockstar on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Late season birds will not hold for a dog that is less than 200 yards from the handler'
-Slistoe 12-26-12

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:34 pm

SetterNut wrote:
birdshot wrote:Setternut, I love those setters. Reminds me of my ,now gone, Mosely dog.
Nothing looks better than a setter or two running out in the sandhills of NE!!!
They are still making setters you know :D
I will look you up when I'm ready. Thanks.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Rockstar wrote:Image

From Wolves in USSR

DDs are crazy in their ability

Corry

**Edit** In all due respect though, that magazine has "breeds" and the final paragraph is not complete so I am pretty sure that there is at least 1 more dog if not more to be mentioned in that article.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 pm

From Wolves in USSR

How are they on seals and African big game?
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:27 pm

To personally answer the title, it is MINE...

Now I expect everyone to give the same answer but different reasons.

Garrison, that is making me laugh my A off.

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:07 am

birdshot wrote:Can cockers pull ducks outta the water or are they too small for ducks?
Corry
I have never hunted ducks with my Cocker, but Am thinking he would be fine for jump shooting. His mouth is pretty large.

birdshot, you have a great looking Cocker! Makes me want one :)

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 am

moneysshot wrote:
birdshot wrote:Can cockers pull ducks outta the water or are they too small for ducks?
Corry

birdshot, you have a great looking Cocker! Makes me want one :)

That is not your Grandma's Cocker! I never thought these words would ever come out of my mouth but here it goes, that is one tough looking Cocker birdshot.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Garrison wrote:

From Wolves in USSR

How are they on seals and African big game?
The real question is are they eligible for FRPSA memebership? :wink:

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 pm

7 Iron

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Best hunting dog has to be a pointer because no one really gets crossed up when you get a long hair or tri color in the litter :lol:

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Maybe its just any dog that wants to hunt for you no matter what the breed is :D

Corry

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

I've heard this somewhere before...........

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Rockstar wrote:According to Sporting Classics Tom Davis, this Gent, now deceased, tallied more Sharpies than any hunters in his era, using DDs.
How much of that is due to the dog, and how much of that is due to him mainly wanting to hunt Sharpies? Not a mark against DDs, I would love to own one.

Corry

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:56 pm

brad27 wrote:I've heard this somewhere before...........
Deja vu

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:06 am

Everyone should shoot the crappy dogs they have and all get DDs... There isn't anything else.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:12 am

ACooper wrote:Everyone should shoot the crappy dogs they have and all get DDs... There isn't anything else.
Sounds like our only option for having "the best" bird dog. :roll:

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:03 am

Back wrote:I'm really surprised no one has said GSP...
We dont want to ruin this thread by telling everyone they are wrong.

Up here for upland an EP would be best. Its too dang hot lately for the longer haired setters. Ya ya whine and complain all you setter guys want, I have a setter and its to "bleep" hot for him.

Once it cools down a Setter can come in and work great. They can cover large areas in short periods of time. Ground covered = more birds.

For pheasant hunting a closer ranging dog is needed for working cattail stands. GWP, DD, GSP, some of those heavier built setters all work great here but they MUST have a strong retrieve, great marking abilities, independent search, and excellent water work.

We also hunt alot of waterfowl in field setups and pass shooting so a dog must have patience, be able to sit quietly, and mark downed game even while halfway into a retrieve. A lab would be your best bet if this is what you did day in and day out but with the Upland mixed in there I once again pull out my secret weapon, the GSP.

Personally I dont like to hunt when its too cold and like to hunt everything. This is where the GSP comes in, they are the swiss army knife of the Gun Dog world and he is my secret weapon for those slow days. But one thing I cant stand is the hair, its like fish hooks, digs into everything and wont come out. This can put me into hot water with the Mrs. when the dog sneaks onto the couch or bed. I dont have this problem with the setter because its easy clean up.

When it gets cold my shorthair definitely need a vest, especially when not moving, but it keeps him warm and with the Blaze Orange no hunter is going to mistake him for game. When hunting waterfowl he wears his camo neoprene, not that it helps hide him but what dog doesnt look cool in camo.

I am looking for another dog and am really torn what to get, I have found an great GSP breeding that I want to get a pup from but if that breeding doesnt take I will be on the hunt for another setter.... preferably another Irish/Red. If I cant find a good one of those I will look at an English or Gordon

So to sum up, unless your hunting one type of bird, in once type of terrain, in one type of weather there is no "Best Hunting Dog". They all have their strengths and they all have their weakness. We each have our breed of choice and tell anyone else who hunts over a different breed they are wrong.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:16 am

I can pull photos off the net of GSPs with pigs and large dangerous game and post them. I mean really what does the photo of the wolves and DD prove? That the DD didn't poo itself before they could get a photo with dead wolves?