Mountain Quail, Chukars,Pups more pics

pointer26

Mountain Quail, Chukars,Pups more pics

Post by pointer26 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:04 pm

What up GDF,
I just wanted to share a few pictures.
I love hiking the hills in search of Chukar. My Pups and I are happy just running around leg burn hill all day.
If you have Pictures of Chukar anything please share.
Thank you and have a good day in the hill.

I was chasing chukar and ran into some Mountain Quail.

She was mad as heck She did not understand why we stopped hunting

Look at this pretty face ain't she a doll

Nothing Like a fresh pile of this green gold.
Last edited by pointer26 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Mountain Quail, Chukars,Pups and Yildiz

Post by ultracarry » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:19 am

Nice pics. What state are you hunting in?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 am

ultracarry wrote:Nice pics. What state are you hunting in?
Part of the requirements for posting pics like these are the exact coordinates to the covey locations.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 am

ACooper wrote:
ultracarry wrote:Nice pics. What state are you hunting in?
Part of the requirements for posting pics like these are the exact coordinates to the covey locations.
I suspect the interest is more the fact that mountain quail are a rarity, open for harvest in only a few states in only a few places within those states, usually for a limited time vs. the much longer seasons for chuks/huns/Cali quail. The places I know that chuks and mtn. quail overlap don't have open seasons for mtn. quail. Gotta be able to ID your birds and know your regs when you are in an area that has them.

They are very cool birds! Nice hunts! :mrgreen:
Last edited by DGFavor on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:40 am

...I will guess within a 30 mile radius of Cjuve's house. Those are great pictures

pointer26

Post by pointer26 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:19 pm

I live and hunt in the Eastern Sierra Mountains in CA. We have a open season for Mt quail. I have found them a few times while looking for chukars.
Our bird numbers are low this year. I have only taken birds from coveys with plenty of birds. I take my pups for runs more than we hunt,so I know where most of the birds are and the number of birds in the coveys. The Mt Quail covey was 25+ birds. That is why I took 3 birds. most of the hunters around here will not hike the hills I do. I can't recall
the last time i saw some one out in the hills.
good day

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Chukar12 wrote:...I will guess within a 30 mile radius of Cjuve's house. Those are great pictures
:lol: I have done three within the day Chuks,Moutain and Valley all within a mile

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Cool photos !! You have some good lookin pups :D ! Congrats on a full game bag!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

pointer26

Post by pointer26 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 pm

cjuve wrote:
Chukar12 wrote:...I will guess within a 30 mile radius of Cjuve's house. Those are great pictures
:lol: I have done three within the day Chuks,Moutain and Valley all within a mile
you must live with in 100 mile radius to be lucky to find three kinds of birds in one mile.

pointer26

Post by pointer26 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 pm

TRoberts wrote:Cool photos !! You have some good looking pups :D ! Congrats on a full game bag!
Thank you. I like my pups I just wish my young gwp pup would stop busting birds.

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Nice group of birds. You are very fortunate to have such a good area. I am down south and the bird population took a big hit. I have hunted the desert area very hard and never saw one chuckar. Very few quail too. I have had several good spots over the years but now they hardly hold any birds. Seems like over the years the bird population has a whole had decline here down south. Well hope they come back. Good luck on your hunting.

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 am

pointer26 wrote:
cjuve wrote:
you must live with in 100 mile radius to be lucky to find three kinds of birds in one mile.

Happens here on a daily basis.

Pheasants, Hungarian Partridge, Sharptail Grouse and Sage Grouse (protected here).

Then 1.5 hours drive west brings us into the foot hills for Ruffed Grouse, Spruce Grouse, and Ptarmigan.

I have always wanted to do Chukar though. Maybe in 2013 or 2014 a trip south may be in order.

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:04 am

I love your pics man, also great lookin dogs...its unbelievable to think that those pics are in CA. Maybe there really is a reason to go further west than Montana/Idaho? :P

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 am

No reason.... Our DFG traded as many chukar as they could trap and sent them to NV in trade for some desert big horn sheep which prob fell as a mean for our protected and over populated mountain lions...... NV has way better chukar hunting...

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:00 am

ultracarry wrote:No reason.... Our DFG traded as many chukar as they could trap and sent them to NV in trade for some desert big horn sheep which prob fell as a mean for our protected and over populated mountain lions...... NV has way better chukar hunting...

Especially this year the drought has hit our birds pretty hard, we seem to be in a decent weather pattern right now but it really depends on what our spring is going to be like.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:15 pm

ultracarry wrote:No reason.... Our DFG traded as many chukar as they could trap and sent them to NV in trade for some desert big horn sheep which prob fell as a meal for our protected and over populated mountain lions...... NV has way better chukar hunting...
I edited it for the wrong word....

Also we get hundreds of not thousands of people that make drives when chukar are in good numbers and they just decimated the population last year. If they were to drop the limit to two or three birds it would be a great move.

pointer26

Post by pointer26 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:44 pm

ultracarry wrote:
ultracarry wrote:No reason.... Our DFG traded as many chukar as they could trap and sent them to NV in trade for some desert big horn sheep which prob fell as a meal for our protected and over populated mountain lions...... NV has way better chukar hunting...

Also we get hundreds of not thousands of people that make drives when chukar are in good numbers and they just decimated the population last year. If they were to drop the limit to two or three birds it would be a great move.
I think a limit of 2 birds is a good . the pictures of the Mountain Quail and chukar are of this season. The other ones are from past years. You also see a limit of birds, that is the only limit i have taken of chukar.I could take limints almost everytime we head out to the hills but I can only eat so many birds. I have not and will not take limits of quail. I see people coming up here and see a covey of 20 or 25 birds and take half the birds from one covey. That is not a way to ensure birds for the future. Most of the birds have been hit hard by the drought this year.. This season I have taken
3 valley quail
3 mt quail
2 chukar

All these birds were taken from coveys that had plenty on birds. I think I am going to take more birds with the camera that way I can still hunt them and shoot and release.

By the way Nevada and Idaho have more chukar than CA

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:54 pm

pointer26 wrote:
ultracarry wrote:

I think a limit of 2 birds is a good . the pictures of the Mountain Quail and chukar are of this season. The other ones are from past years. You also see a limit of birds, that is the only limit i have taken of chukar.I could take limints almost everytime we head out to the hills but I can only eat so many birds. I have not and will not take limits of quail. I see people coming up here and see a covey of 20 or 25 birds and take half the birds from one covey. That is not a way to ensure birds for the future. Most of the birds have been hit hard by the drought this year.. This season I have taken
3 valley quail
3 mt quail
2 chukar

All these birds were taken from coveys that had plenty on birds. I think I am going to take more birds with the camera that way I can still hunt them and shoot and release.

By the way Oregon and Idaho have more chukar than CA
There I fixed it for ya!!!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:08 pm

They do! So NV OR and UT!!!!

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Your pics are what my dreams are made of!!!! Congrats on some fine looking country, beautiful dog, and busting some birds. (like that Y-gun btw)

I've got to get further west...
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

pointer26

Re: Mountain Quail, Chukars,Pups and Yildiz more pics

Post by pointer26 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 pm

I went out today and found another covey of Mountain Quail. I hike my a$$ off today. My young pup busted the birds every time we got close and I missed a couple of times.
Then my older pup locked up on a single. Its funny how the pain of hiking for about five hours disappears with one bird in the bag.

TRoberts

Re: Mountain Quail, Chukars,Pups more pics

Post by TRoberts » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Really cool photo's Pointer....Thanks!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:21 am

Some nice shots, have to love the two curled up in the truck.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Congratulations, awesome pictures :D
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson