What do I need to know about ruffed grouse?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

What do I need to know about ruffed grouse?

Post by wems2371 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:55 pm

After Christmas, we are going up to my sisters to visit. All trips are dual purpose in this household :D , so we want to hit up some public land while we're there. There's just about nothing listed for pheasant, but almost every WMA is listed for grouse. She lives a stones throw from Yellow River, and from some older posts on Iowa Outdoors, this sounds like a good place to try. What little I gleaned is to look for new growth clearcuts and really thick brushy areas. Any other habitat advice? Is there a particular plant they forage, for instance? Are these birds primarily ground dwellars and should I expect to see some flush from trees as well? Lowland areas or high and dry? Fly high or level? Do they fly far and are they too spooky to rework a bird. Do you ever find groups of them or is it only singles? I'm out of questions for the moment, but all advice appreciated.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: What do I need to know about ruffed grouse?

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:04 pm

The Ruffed Grouse....Atwater and Schnell

Plus, search out early successional, hunt the last two hours of the day and do not follow up flushes past one reflush.

That will be a good start.

Hunter additivity exists with areas that find the ruffed grouse low on a decline curve and if you are speaking of NE Iowa, that portion of the range would fit the bill.....be mindful that one does not have to shoot a ruffed grouse, to kill it.
Good luck.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Mountaineer wrote:The Ruffed Grouse....Atwater and Schnell

Plus, search out early successional, hunt the last two hours of the day and do not follow up flushes past one reflush.

That will be a good start.

Hunter additivity exists with areas that find the ruffed grouse low on a decline curve and if you are speaking of NE Iowa, that portion of the range would fit the bill.....be mindful that one does not have to shoot a ruffed grouse, to kill it.
Good luck.

why hunt last 2 hrs of day?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Because it is often the best time, especially re scenting conditions.
Not chipped in stone but...there you have it.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 am

Morning is great too....especially on a warm day after a cold night. That sun gets those birds moving

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:47 am

Spoookie... go softly... and go in the thick stuff where you think you won't fit...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

m2244

Post by m2244 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:54 am

Not sure why a previous post advises not to follow-up on flushed birds. I have found that they hold a little bit tighter on second and third flushes. Unless his point is that it stresses the bird too much.

I have also found that morning is when I usually see them bunched up. Evening I get more single flushes. One morning this past weekend I flushed a group of 5 all at once. It looked like something straight from an old world painting.

First flushes are usually on the ground, depending on snow, etc. Second and third flushes are many times from a tree. Here in VT. late season birds are usually found near evergreens and cedars.

They are quick and have an uncanny talent for putting something between you and them when they flush. Many times you can't wait for an open shot, you'll never shoot.

Good luck.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:01 am

In WI we try to stay near transition areas. Were ever the terrain changes on those edges is were we find the most birds. Also they will sit in trees and watch you walk by and flush after you have past. And when your dog goes on point don't for get to look up. I've had my dogs go on point and after searching on the ground and coming up empty and then looking at the dog only to see him looking up. And wondering what you looking at. Then looking up myself and spotting miss grouse sitting there laughing at me. Then flying off laughing all the way.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 am

m2244 wrote:Not sure why a previous post advises not to follow-up on flushed birds. I have found that they hold a little bit tighter on second and third flushes. Unless his point is that it stresses the bird too much.
I think that is exactly the point. I've never worried too much about that though, because the areas I hunt have a strong population....usually, though, they flush too deep for me to want to follow

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 am

DogNewbie wrote:
m2244 wrote:Not sure why a previous post advises not to follow-up on flushed birds. I have found that they hold a little bit tighter on second and third flushes. Unless his point is that it stresses the bird too much.
I think that is exactly the point. I've never worried too much about that though, because the areas I hunt have a strong population....usually, though, they flush too deep for me to want to follow

Yes, in areas were the populations are hanging on by a beak....ie NE Iowa.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:05 am

Wems,

Sounds like you guys are going to get hit with alot of snow this week, That might change how the birds are. I have seen grouse while Turkey hunting in SE Minnesota and wondered if it would be worth trying, but not sure if I have the stanima for all the Coulee country walking. I almost think taking birds from this area would be like trophy hunting in some ways. Could be quit challeging.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks for all the input. I doubt two novices with dogs that have never hunted grouse, will do any damage to the population, but I'll certainly keep conservation in mind. I'm guessing we'll be lucky to even spot some.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 am

I have also found that morning is when I usually see them bunched up. Evening I get more single flushes. One morning this past weekend I flushed a group of 5 all at once. It looked like something straight from an old world painting.

First flushes are usually on the ground, depending on snow, etc. Second and third flushes are many times from a tree. Here in VT. late season birds are usually found near evergreens and cedars.

They are quick and have an uncanny talent for putting something between you and them when they flush. Many times you can't wait for an open shot, you'll never shoot.

Good luck.

thats why i asked why last 2 hrs are best time. not being smart but 46 yrs hunting grouse herein pa and usually early morning is best.
in afternoon the birds are resting and usually WIND picks up and its hard to get at grouse and a lot sit in trees by then.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:47 am

wems2371 wrote:Thanks for all the input. I doubt two novices with dogs that have never hunted grouse, will do any damage to the population, but I'll certainly keep conservation in mind. I'm guessing we'll be lucky to even spot some.
now here is hunter i like to be with. :wink: killing grouse off WILL ruin your area.
i see it every time i go out.
hunters i see today,MOST are meat hunting kill every bird they can.
some ,like you and me believe in having fun with dog shooting over grouse heads.
i shot over 48 grouse heads this year here in pa.
just think what grouse i would have if i killed those grouse off .
NOTHING.

hunters need to wake up and stop killing in areas that have few birds.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:

Yes, in areas were the populations are hanging on by a beak....ie NE Iowa.
We would hunt SE MN growing up. Really red colored grouse. It was even bad at that point though. My dad is sentimental and SE MN is where all his fondest grouse hunting memories are. He still tries to get me to go hunt south but it just doesn't make sense when we can get much better hunting in for the same amount of drive time by going north.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 pm

wems2371 wrote:Thanks for all the input. I doubt two novices with dogs that have never hunted grouse, will do any damage to the population, but I'll certainly keep conservation in mind. I'm guessing we'll be lucky to even spot some.

Flushing grouse too many times out of their home range in low populations and at a time of the season when nutrition is often lowest will harm the birds/breeding along with opening them to avain predation.
If you or a shed hunter, etc. is in the woods at the wrong time, ruffed grouse could be affected negatively in some areas.
It has nothing to little to do with the experience of the grousehunter.
Just the way it is at low points on a decline curve...the lesser factors of decline increase in effect.
Shooting in the air can also be as dumb.

As far as late evening, hunting ruffed grouse since 1964 in the Appalatchians says that time is especially good....mornings more dependent upon weather and weather trends, food, terrain and cover.
Wind often drops and lays of an evening, in more ways than one. :idea:
Not a grousehunter with flushers as some with many supposed years at the task so perhaps a lab changes the processs 180 degrees....but, I doubt it.

Again, good luck and while not a fan of the RGS, I have heard good things about their activities in Iowa and would suggest you consider joining that organization.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 pm

DogNewbie wrote:We would hunt SE MN growing up. Really red colored grouse. It was even bad at that point though. My dad is sentimental and SE MN is where all his fondest grouse hunting memories are. He still tries to get me to go hunt south but it just doesn't make sense when we can get much better hunting in for the same amount of drive time by going north.
Color phases vary across the range and often mix.
Shot grey and a nice red ruff in the U.P. this season.
Lot to learn about one of the truely wild american gamebirds....books and papers abound on aspects of the bird and it's life...one never stops learning.

I would go North as well...for more reasons than success.
You live in a great spot for the choices offered to you.
Good luck to you as well.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:39 am

I have yet to have the pleasure to hunt the thunder chicken here in PA but I would have to say that I have been given more near heart attacks walking into my treestands in the morning because of the flush right before dawn than ever coming out of the stand at night. Flush four or five of those devils in the dark and it will definitely make you stop and catch your breath.

Joe

setternewbie

Post by setternewbie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:39 am

Number one thing to know...Make sure you're not counting on eating any for dinner. If you've never shot at one, I'd plan on one box of shells to 1 bird ratios. NO exaggeration. It is a lot of fun, if not always productive

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:45 am

setternewbie wrote:...If you've never shot at one, I'd plan on one box of shells to 1 bird ratios. NO exaggeration. It is a lot of fun, if not always productive

Good grief.....let's be a tad bit more realistic for the OP.
Experience with pointed or flushed birds does make a difference and skeet practice will help with gun familiarization but 25-1?...nah.
No one shoots that poorly unless some major issue is afoot....unrelated to any gamebird.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Probably shot most 75% of my grouse between 3-5 pm, i also see the most right after a rain when the sun is out. Good luck

setternewbie

Post by setternewbie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
setternewbie wrote:...If you've never shot at one, I'd plan on one box of shells to 1 bird ratios. NO exaggeration. It is a lot of fun, if not always productive

Good grief.....let's be a tad bit more realistic for the OP.
Experience with pointed or flushed birds does make a difference and skeet practice will help with gun familiarization but 25-1?...nah.
No one shoots that poorly unless some major issue is afoot....unrelated to any gamebird.

Admitedly I am on a streak of terrible shooting myself, and coming off several hunts that have left me thinking it may in fact be no longer possible for me to hit these darn things. :oops: Pardon my frustration...I'm sure there are many out there who have shared in my misery from time to time and no...They are not impossible...just the closest gamebird to impossible to hit that I have had the pleasure of chasing...and I love every minute of it. It makes no difference if I never hit another one. I will hunt them with pleasure. Don't let me discourage you and I did not intend to do so. Flush a few and you'll understand my momentary sarcastic lapse! It's the most fun you'll have hunting. Seriously.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Early morning,,late afternoon
Transition areas...popple/ birch/ alder/fir.spruce /tamarach when it gets cold or windy....blowdowns
Hazel bush or cranberry bush near creeks or gullies

They'll spook the heck out of you.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin