Bumping Birds

UpNorthHuntin

Bumping Birds

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:59 pm

I am taking my Pup to a preserve next week to get him as much exposure to real birds as possible. If he can see the bird he is fairly staunch and will hold fairly well, but if he can't he goes rushing in like a Bull in a China Shop. I've read almost every post stating that many never shoot a bird over a dog unless staunchly pointed. Should I just let him chase them then? Or use the opportunity on a check cord to make him hold. Many dog trainers say they eventually figure it out on their own after not getting to retrieve downed birds they intentionally flush. I'm anticipating it and wondering how to best handle it when it happens? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... I wouldn't be too concerned, but birds at a preserve cost $$, so it may take a little restraint to not shoot them:)

DogNewbie

Re: Bumping Birds

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 pm

I think most people on here will tell you let the pup bump and chase and figure it out. Personally, my pup was starting to have a little too much fun chasing so I starting to whoa on the flush and use the collar if he didn't stop. That actually ended up stopping the bumping as well. I'm surprised you found that the pup is more staunch when it can see the birds. Mine's the opposite. He sees those birds and can't help himself.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:45 pm

How old is this pup?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:18 am

Pup is a 7-month old Britt. 9 HOF Britts in a 7 GEN pedigree, all of them from out west (Montana, Arizona, New Mexico etc...) so he's a pretty big running Britt. Extremely fast and really good range. Seems to be coming along very well on everything except pointing to sent vs. visual. He picks up the sent a good 60-100 yards away depending on scent and gets real "birdy", but if he picks it up far out he goes straight in for the bird and won't stop and point. If he stumbles on it he locks right up. I think I am going to try working him from the upwind side a little more so he doesn't get too excited until he's right on top of the bird. See how that works. I just got a new Garmin Alpha last week and in three days he is healing off leash, fixed his stubbornness on the recall. He has the retreiving drive that is out of this world. Retreives to hand with no Force Training. I'm looking forward to getting him on real birds and seeing how he does. I'll post some PICs of him afterward. Thanks for the tips...

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 am

If he has been properly introduced to gunfire. Kill some birds for him, if he points or not. If it flies, shoot it. Then go back to teaching whoa and on to staunch and then to steady.

Like many, i think you are making this a lot harder than need be. Both of you go have some fun.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:01 am

He's good on gun-fire.... Thanks for the tips. I think we will kill a few birds then and see how he does. The trainer is going to help out too. My first training effort with a bird dog, so I just don't want to screw it up. Thank you for the advice...

mask

Post by mask » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:58 pm

You might want to check cord him on some carded pigeons or birds in a launcher. Make sure he knows he is to stop when he smells birds. It just sounds like he needs a little training before actually hunting released birds. Good luck with your pup and both of you have fun.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Yeah. I am going to spend some time with the trainer at the preserve first for an evaluation and a couple hours of training first. He just seems to get really excited when he gets real birdy and has to work at it a bit and doesn't Whoa once he gets to the bird because he is so fired up. Thanks for all the tips and I'll post how he does afterward.