Hunting when it is snowing.

vartz04

Hunting when it is snowing.

Post by vartz04 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:06 pm

I know the forecast can change quite a bit between now and next thursday but they are calling for a chance of light snow. I have gotten a permit to repay my dad for getting me into hunting. I wanted to take him out and get the dog some more experience as well. Does it make sense to change the date (if possible) if they are still calling for snow when the time gets closer? Right now its looking like a 25 degree high with a 40% chance of snow. or will the birds just hold better in this weather? I am in Northern IL if that helps.

RYNO

Re: Hunting when it is snowing.

Post by RYNO » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:31 pm

I love hunting in the snow. I like seeing the fresh tracks and the birds seem to hold better.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:43 am

If you keep your dog dry after he or she is done running, he or she will have "The Time" of their life! I don't know any dogs that would prefer it any other way...Nor do I...Snow keeps the Fair Weather hunters away, while their dogs wait........

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:13 am

Go for it. I love hunting in the snow. I wish it snowed the entire season. Less water to carry for one, and two seeing the tracks on the ground and watching as the dog uses his nose tracking them tracks is something to see. He's, going, he's, going, and, bam! Rock solid point.
The birds hold tighter also.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Hunting in snow and hunting while it's snowing are a little different. A fresh snow is prime time!

Hunting during a blowing, wet snow can be miserable but still rewarding. I have a couple of spots that we hit during snows that hold lots of birds, especially if it's blowing. Pine trees and anything sheltered from the wind a re great hot spots but your gear better be top notch!

pointer26

Post by pointer26 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:09 pm

I really like hunting after a snow. Looking at the tracks in the ground. you do not have to carry as much water for the dogs. My dogs often get cut in the legs,feet and pads as they cannot see where they step. We hunt in a lot of sharp lave rocks. I do not like to hunt while it is snowing. I think you cause the birds more stress . I give them a break. Hunting pressure and the elements combine can have a unwanted mortality . That's just how I do.
Hope you have fun on your trip.
Please post pics
Thank you

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:56 pm

As said you can hunt most upland birds in the snow very successfully, but I have rarely had a good hunt on quail in the snow. Pheasants are the easiest, followed by grouse.

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:10 pm

I lucked. Out it didn't snow

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Neil wrote:As said you can hunt most upland birds in the snow very successfully, but I have rarely had a good hunt on quail in the snow. Pheasants are the easiest, followed by grouse.
All of our best quail hunts have come int he snow. I wonder what the difference is?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:21 pm

You have huntable populations of wild quail in Central Indiana?

While snowing the quail tend to covey up under spruce or pine thickets giving off little scent, away from their normal habitat. With snow on the ground they run or flush wild, as they are readily visiable.

I killed my first quail over a point in 1963, since then 1,000's, but few in the snow.

Now preserve birds are easy to hunt, snow or no snow.

allaboutdogs

Post by allaboutdogs » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 am

I love hunting during the snow. I did it once in year and I always remeber the time when we did it with my dog.
:P