Kansas Tuttle Creek WMA

Meatballs

Kansas Tuttle Creek WMA

Post by Meatballs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Diesel and I hit the northern aspects of the public ground areas north of the lake this weekend. The habitat was pretty...milo, corn, tall grasses, strips of timber, and water. We had a great time. Pushed 5 big fields. Never encountered one bird and saw no sign. Tough conditions but he had a great time hunting. Matt

SetterNut

Re: Kansas Tuttle Creek WMA

Post by SetterNut » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:06 pm

It is a pretty tough place to hunt. Cover is big and thick in places.
Back in the late 80's it was really good there. But then again every where around here was pretty good in the 1980's.
Steve

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:40 pm

I have hunted this area with great success in the past. However, the last few years it has been bad. When I first started hunting the Blue Rapids area of Tuttle Creek, we found a lot of birds. Quail and pheasant. I recall a flood and since then the bird population has been on a constant decline. Have not been out in the last 2 years but I am sure the cover is the same.

TSK

Post by TSK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Me and a buddy w/ two dogs went up there about a week before you did and found three coveys. Went back a week later and nothing, but didn't hunt the exact same spots either. Great habitat but there is definitely a lot of area to cover.