Chukar in Utah

isonychia

Chukar in Utah

Post by isonychia » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Hey folks! I am planning a few more hunts away from home for this fall as my dog is coming into steady and things are looking good. Invested in a nice 20 guage auto and want to target some chukar if at all possible. I live in Western Colorado and will be looking at some places in Eastern Utah, that is if they hold Chukar. Any tips on what months are best to target them and what "general' areas I should be looking in search for these birds? I'm trying to stay away from killer cliff falls, they stress me out so much with my dog I can't enjoy the hunt. Thanks for any and all advice! Also, in prep. how far should I be launching pigeons from dog during training to best simulate chukar behavior? Depending on what happens with pheasant this year, I might make 2 or 3 trips for chukar, 4 days long with a day of fishing to let the dog rest probably.

Vision

Re: Chukar in Utah

Post by Vision » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:25 am

Chukar hunting in Utah is spotty at best. Save your money and go to Wyoming.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 am

Western Utah has most of the chukar habitat. If I were you I would drive the extra 4-5 hours and hunt N. Nevada or S. Idaho.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 am

Eastern Utah is home to the mythical Gypsy Chukar. Here today gone tomorrow. I know a poor old boy that has pretty much succumb to nothing but arrowhead hunting due to this very elusive breed of Red Legs

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 am

Hmm might just target ptarmigan more often here, now that I have seen one this summer and know they are around.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 am

Im going to make a trip down to Colorado next Sept for Ptarmigan. With just a few seconds of research I already have a few places to try, and I believe the best numbers are down where you are.

Btw, dont waste your time in Wyoming. Chukar are only a myth in this state!! Nothing to see here, move along.

I've heard there are chukar in Colorado, over in the book cliffs. The word on the street is they are "bleep" near impossible to hunt though, too steep and rugged. That sounds like a challenge to me!
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:40 pm

JWP58 wrote:Im going to make a trip down to Colorado next Sept for Ptarmigan. With just a few seconds of research I already have a few places to try, and I believe the best numbers are down where you are.

Btw, dont waste your time in Wyoming. Chukar are only a myth in this state!! Nothing to see here, move along.

I've heard there are chukar in Colorado, over in the book cliffs. The word on the street is they are "bleep" near impossible to hunt though, too steep and rugged. That sounds like a challenge to me!

I worked on a ranch around those book cliffs, no chukar did I see, but a load of blue grouse! If only I owned that ranch and didn't just work on it. I have seen one ptarmigan around here, which means there are more, so I will be hunting for them pretty often come october. Let me know if you want to get up or need any tips on places to stay through pm.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Heck ya, I'll bookmark this thread and shoot you a pm once the season is closer.

The first place Im going to scout out is N.E. of Steamboat. The next place I'd like to scout is around the twin lakes area south of Leadville.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:48 pm

I applied for a job in leadville. We will see :roll:

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:35 am

I would go to Idaho or Nevada for chukar. The chukars died this year in Utah from the snow, hopefully they will come back. :D

sean english

Post by sean english » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:03 am

fishvik wrote:Western Utah has most of the chukar habitat. If I were you I would drive the extra 4-5 hours and hunt N. Nevada or S. Idaho.
Agree

Carolina bird hunter

Post by Carolina bird hunter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:46 pm

I hunted chucker and Huns in Wa. For 7 yrs and found enough chuckers and Huns to keep us and the dogs happy.we stayed in clarkston and hunted public land above asotin plenty of wheat fields and few bird hunters.