Flushing Or Pointing Dog

gsp1979

Flushing Or Pointing Dog

Post by gsp1979 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:03 pm

I have a 8 week old GSP puppy and was told by several people that I should train him to flush birds and not to point... Not sure what to do. I hunt stocked birds in PA for the most part. Ive never trained a hunting dog before so im new to this and am going to order some training dvd's and equiptment needed if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks!!

bb560m

Re: Flushing Or Pointing Dog

Post by bb560m » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:41 pm

gsp1979 wrote:I have a 8 week old GSP puppy and was told by several people that I should train him to flush birds and not to point... Not sure what to do. I hunt stocked birds in PA for the most part. Ive never trained a hunting dog before so im new to this and am going to order some training dvd's and equiptment needed if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks!!
What does the P stand for in GSP?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:44 pm

A gsp is a pointing dog. Perfect start & perfect finish is a good training program dvd set. Have fun training :D

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 pm

bb560m wrote:
gsp1979 wrote:I have a 8 week old GSP puppy and was told by several people that I should train him to flush birds and not to point... Not sure what to do. I hunt stocked birds in PA for the most part. Ive never trained a hunting dog before so im new to this and am going to order some training dvd's and equiptment needed if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks!!
What does the P stand for in GSP?
X2 use the dog for what it was bred for. I like seeing a good flusher work, but to me it's like comparing a helicopter to a fighter jet. Ok all all the flusher folks go ahead and jump me :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:42 pm

IMO, it would be a sin to have a pointing dog trained as a flusher. I don't think it would work very well anyway.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:44 pm

It is a lot easer to train a pointing dog to flush after it is trained to piont ,than train it to point after you made it a flushing dog . but why by a pointing dog if you wont a flushing dog ??? most pointing dogs will flush after pointing as you walk in if not trained to study to wing . Alot of hunters not field trailing there dogs perfer s that .

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 am

Training with Mo is a great read. The dog is a pointer, use the tool for the design it was meant to do. Although I've used the back of a screw gun as a hammer, many times I end up with a ruined screw gun.

gsp1979

Post by gsp1979 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks Guys!! Thats kinda what I was leaning toward any way!!

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:12 am

I think its odd that several people think you should do this? IMO train it to point, get a flushing dog if you want it to flush,
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:17 am

When you train your long ranging GSP to flush, you get the advantage of not seeing any birds throughout the day. While you might think this is because there were no birds, it is in fact, because your dog was chasing them off 200 yards away in the woods! :lol:

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 am

Moulders Farm wrote:It is a lot easer to train a pointing dog to flush after it is trained to piont ,than train it to point after you made it a flushing dog . but why by a pointing dog if you wont a flushing dog ??? most pointing dogs will flush after pointing as you walk in if not trained to study to wing . Alot of hunters not field trailing there dogs perfer s that .

Seems like a dangerous tactic, and what about multiple flushes?

gsp1979

Post by gsp1979 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Everything said makes perfect sense!! Thanks

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am

Flusher

Pointer

Both will get-r-done. I guess the real question here is how fast do you think you can run?

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:51 pm

My first bird dog was a Springer Spaniel, a flushing breed, and yes, you'd better have your track shoes on when he hit a hot track! To my mind, there's nothing prettier than seeing a pointer just locked down solid on a bird! Eye candy!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:18 pm

buckeyebowman wrote:My first bird dog was a Springer Spaniel, a flushing breed, and yes, you'd better have your track shoes on when he hit a hot track! To my mind, there's nothing prettier than seeing a pointer just locked down solid on a bird! Eye candy!
A trained flusher is a joy to hunt behind. If they get too far ahead, even if on a bird, a toot on the whistle they should hup.

I keep about 8 adult dogs, the flushers for thick cover where birds are more plentiful, the pointing dog for open areas where birds are scattered.

Training a GSP as a flusher is going to annoy the dog and the handler.