Advice on the "Bucket List" trip

bossman

Advice on the "Bucket List" trip

Post by bossman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Wife and I are planning a multi-state, four week upland hunt for the 2014 season (may be early but want to start checking availability ). Would leave north Texas and head to Montana, then to North & South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and back to Texas. Any suggestions on specific locations, guides/outfitters,etc; would be appreciated. We are familiar with Kansas as we hunt there several times a year. Goal (other than celebrating retirement) would be to get our three Shorthairs into as many different types of birds as possible. We would actually prefer a guide with access to private land and make our own arrangements for lodging and meals, but a full service outfitter would be fine as well. Don't want an outfitter that prides itself on serving the best alcohol availabe since I don't want to pay for a service we won't use. PM's, ofcourse, would be fine if we didn't want to get into a dicussion of specific guides/individuals. . Thanks in advance for any ideas. Is it too soon to have the truck checked out for the trip? :)

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Advice on the "Bucket List" trip

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:58 pm

Sounds like a dream trip Jerry,hope you get things lined up.Nice!!

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:06 am

I have been thinking of this place my self. Prices sound about right. http://www.prairiewindhunting.com/Pheasant.htm
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

mask

Post by mask » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Where in Montana? You might try one of the indian reservations. Fort Peck has some good looking country and something akin to crp. We don't use guides so I can't help you there but a phone call will get you info on the reservations. Congrats on retirement it's the best. pm sent.

rgsiii

Post by rgsiii » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:01 am

The area around Lewistown is very good. You may want to contact Al Gadoury at 6x Outfitters (406) 586-3806. He is very good and books very fast. I have shot Huns, Sharptails,Sage grouse, doves, and pheasants with him. Be prepared to walk. :D

You could tell him that Richard S. in Louisiana recommended him.

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:29 am

Big bloc wrote:I have been thinking of this place my self. Prices sound about right. http://www.prairiewindhunting.com/Pheasant.htm

I don't think a "Bucket List" trip includes pen raised birds.

Duckdon

Post by Duckdon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:44 am

Sage Hens in Wyoming in September........Don

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:33 pm

bossman wrote:Wife and I are planning a multi-state, four week upland hunt for the 2014 season (may be early but want to start checking availability ). Would leave north Texas and head to Montana, then to North & South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and back to Texas. Any suggestions on specific locations, guides/outfitters,etc; would be appreciated. We are familiar with Kansas as we hunt there several times a year. Goal (other than celebrating retirement) would be to get our three Shorthairs into as many different types of birds as possible. We would actually prefer a guide with access to private land and make our own arrangements for lodging and meals, but a full service outfitter would be fine as well. Don't want an outfitter that prides itself on serving the best alcohol availabe since I don't want to pay for a service we won't use.
PM's, ofcourse, would be fine if we didn't want to get into a dicussion of specific guides/individuals. . Thanks in advance for any ideas. Is it too soon to have the truck checked out for the trip? :)
Haw! :lol: Reminds me of a passage in a John Gierach book when he went to some fancy trout fishing "lodge" in some exotic locale. "Yes, the food and the booze were top shelf, but the fishing was just average and I thought, 'What the heck are we really here for?' " I have nothing really concrete to offer except to say that the general layout of the trip sounds perfect. Start in the north and finish in the south. You'll be following the weather down. Other than that I'm just envious as heck!

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Some great idea's. Duckdon, Wyoming will be added to the list. Will check out our Blacks Wing & Clay Waterfowl book for destinations. Please pass along any you may know. Vison, your correct. Wild birds, decent motels , good local food. Will bring our own cigars. Al Gadoury will be contacted. Thanks. Keep the ideas coming. Your helping my wife and me build some lasting memories!

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:04 pm

sent you pm
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 pm

rgsiii wrote:The area around Lewistown is very good. You may want to contact Al Gadoury at 6x Outfitters (406) 586-3806. He is very good and books very fast. I have shot Huns, Sharptails,Sage grouse, doves, and pheasants with him. Be prepared to walk. :D

And Scott from Wingshooting USA does too. We've made a bunch of shows, and I've hunted with Al "for fun." You will not regret it.

I would also add Jason Ostrander of Grey Reef Outfitters in Wyoming for wild huns and chukars. But as noted, you'd better be in shape.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed May 01, 2013 6:24 am

We stayed in custard state park in SD, loved it.
Buffalo just out the window, mountain climbing, trout fishing scenic rides, even wild donkeys that will shove their head into the window for food!
If your a fisher head to the red river in ND by devils lake. Caught a butt-load of northerns on that river by the bridges with dare devils
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri May 03, 2013 11:38 pm

There's some really good pheasant country around the Missouri River/I-90 area in SD and further east and north. Quite a bit of public access land right around the river. SD F&G has downloadable GPS public access land maps for Garmins and other GPS devices so you can pinpoint that you're in the right place to hunt legally.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Sat May 04, 2013 8:17 am

Check out Outdoor Obsessions in Kansas if your looking for guide service on private land. I have been hunting with a crew there for many years. Owned and operated by the Erik. Well priced, good flying birds and strong customer service. If you want more info send Pm. I can send personal reference so he knows who referred you, our group has been hunting with him before he began the business.

SDNewB

Post by SDNewB » Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:There's some really good pheasant country around the Missouri River/I-90 area in SD and further east and north. Quite a bit of public access land right around the river. SD F&G has downloadable GPS public access land maps for Garmins and other GPS devices so you can pinpoint that you're in the right place to hunt legally.
This I-90/missouri area would be Chaimberlain, Some of the best numbers of Pheasants per mile in the state. If you can't kill your 3 birds a day here, You are not trying. Wish I could help you out with some contacts, But we here are proud of our hunting and the South Dakota Dept of tourism lists hunting lodges. A call to the local gun shop should score you some local info on guides.
Another area to consider would be Winner a close #2 to Chaimberlain, and Mitchell SD would be my #3 choice. All have great numbers, But you are talking about a bucket trip...

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat May 11, 2013 7:55 am

General plans are coming together. Appreciate all the input. Al Gadoury will be in the plan somewhere. (Saw Scotts' show). Have contacted some of your suggestions but please keep them coming. I owe all of you a good cigar, a drink of some sort or a good dog biscuit :) ! Your choice...Thanks

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Sat May 11, 2013 8:34 am

bossman wrote:General plans are coming together. Appreciate all the input. Al Gadoury will be in the plan somewhere. (Saw Scotts' show). Have contacted some of your suggestions but please keep them coming. I owe all of you a good cigar, a drink of some sort or a good dog biscuit :) ! Your choice...Thanks
Good to hear, if we are in Kansas at the same time I'll take you up on the dog biscuit....ah heck, the drink too ;)

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Scott Linden wrote:
rgsiii wrote:The area around Lewistown is very good. You may want to contact Al Gadoury at 6x Outfitters (406) 586-3806. He is very good and books very fast. I have shot Huns, Sharptails,Sage grouse, doves, and pheasants with him. Be prepared to walk. :D

And Scott from Wingshooting USA does too. We've made a bunch of shows, and I've hunted with Al "for fun." You will not regret it.

I would also add Jason Ostrander of Grey Reef Outfitters in Wyoming for wild huns and chukars. But as noted, you'd better be in shape.
No such things in Wyoming, no birds at all in fact. Just keep on a' drivin......
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun May 19, 2013 9:34 pm

JWP58 wrote:
Scott Linden wrote:

No such things in Wyoming, no birds at all in fact. Just keep on a' drivin......
I'm surprised you didn't mention all the 8-foot-long rattlesnakes!
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 am

Scott Linden wrote:I'm surprised you didn't mention all the 8-foot-long rattlesnakes!

8ft?? You must've ran into a baby rattler......
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:17 am

My bucket list upland trip would probably have to include Wyoming sage grouse / North Dakota or Montana for Hungarian partridge / Nebraska prairie chickens and sharptails. For NE hunt check out http://www.calamusoutfitters.com/

Be sure to work at coordinating your trip with open seasons, and hopefully optimal weather. The windows can be small for some upland species and the weather...well who knows?

Good luck,

Nate