Adding a Beeper to an E-collar?

nitecapt

Adding a Beeper to an E-collar?

Post by nitecapt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:55 am

I hunt in some dense stuff and when my dogs go on point, sometimes I can't find them. They wear a Dogtra E-Collar and I would like to add a beeper that stays quiet until the point occurs. Of course my dogs are little and adding this to an e-collar makes for a huge package. Does anyone make a VERY small beeper? All I want is to be able to put it on their collar, switch it on and let it do its job. I don't need remote function.
Ideas?
Thanks
Ray

Rod W

Re: Adding a Beeper to an E-collar?

Post by Rod W » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Tri Tronics--accessory beeperss, I run them on point only.
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Rod W wrote:Tri Tronics--accessory beeperss, I run them on point only.
+1, although much more expensive, you might want to at least consider a Garmin GPS e-collar, the Alpha.

Also get a LCS catalog, it is fun to use as a wish book of all available for training.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Thats how I do it as well.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:26 am

I preferred the Lovett as an add-on backup when I ran beepers.
Try all, let your ears decide.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:49 am

I had the privilege of hunting with Northern Cajun, this Jan. He can remotely activate his collars and only turn it on when the dog hasn't been seen for a while/ possibly on point? He then turns the collar on, which always would sound off, His dog Indy, if unseen for a while, would be on point!!!! Thanks for the lessons NC.
northern cajun wrote:

Thats how I do it as well.
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:07 am

Tri tronics g3 beeper it's small and loud

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:45 pm

I used to, grew to hate them. Moving to GPS for this year.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Trade your collar in for a Dogtra 2500 TB, they are very light weight and work well. I have the same setup that you have. In addition to a 2500 TB I have a Dogtra 1500 that I added a Tritronics beeper to. It is OK but you can't control the beeper off your Dogtra transmitter. I bought a Tritronics collar to work with the beeper but I still don't think a add on works as well as a collar and beeper that is one unit. Both can be run in point only mode and with the 2500 once I have located the dog I turn it off. Best of luck.posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=42291#

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:14 am

displaced_texan wrote:
I used to, grew to hate them. Moving to GPS for this year.
I never ran a beeper. Started out with the Garmin Astro and now the Alpha. All the time I've been around beepers, I found them annoying and believe they spook game. I sold my Astro on ebay and have seen more and more dog GPS systems coming up for sale used as new models come out. With time, GPS will get cheaper, especially used units.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Beepers can, of course, be heard but the nature of the bird and the cover most often determines if a game bird is "spooked" by a beep....far, far from a generalized spooking. :)
Ruffed grouse are very, very seldom affected by a beeper, ime, with pheasants more often affected, allowing them to use what God gave them.
Nothing wrong with a point only beeper any more than the annoying folks who talk endlessly or who endlessly relay what the Astro/Alpha is showing.
I have gone away from the beeper in the grouse woods simply because one beeper is no longer made....little is lost tho with an Astro and a good bell in the grouse woods.

Reiterating re the beeper....they all sound different.
if the OP chooses one, he should choose based upon the beeper to his ear rather than the beeper to the anecdotes of others.
The beepers remaining today pretty much all go beep sufficiently well.

smittty

Post by smittty » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm

I had a sporstdog beeper it was just to to loud in my opinion even when I used it just on point... im sure the thing got the birds running ..now in heavy cover I just use a good ol bell

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Beepers can, of course, be heard but the nature of the bird and the cover most often determines if a game bird is "spooked" by a beep....far, far from a generalized spooking. :)
Ruffed grouse are very, very seldom affected by a beeper, ime, with pheasants more often affected, allowing them to use what God gave them.
Nothing wrong with a point only beeper any more than the annoying folks who talk endlessly or who endlessly relay what the Astro/Alpha is showing.
I have gone away from the beeper in the grouse woods simply because one beeper is no longer made....little is lost tho with an Astro and a good bell in the grouse woods. ...
I never had the opportunity to hunt ruffed grouse. Most of my hunting is western quail species, pheasant, chukar etc. Most of these will run out of a point at the slightest provocation before the first flush. The exception seems to be the mearns.

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:51 pm

smittty wrote:I had a sporstdog beeper it was just to to loud in my opinion even when I used it just on point... im sure the thing got the birds running ..now in heavy cover I just use a good ol bell
For my purposes, the beep was louder than I wanted, too. So I cover it with a piece of duct tape, which makes it quieter and keeps out leaves, dirt etc
Also, I found that the 2-toned beeps such as bob-white or hawk scream are easier for me to locate than the monotone beep. I use a bell and beeper on point-mode. I don't find grouse running any more or less than when I ran a bell-only.

smittty

Post by smittty » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Andy wrote:
smittty wrote:I had a sporstdog beeper it was just to to loud in my opinion even when I used it just on point... im sure the thing got the birds running ..now in heavy cover I just use a good ol bell
For my purposes, the beep was louder than I wanted, too. So I cover it with a piece of duct tape, which makes it quieter and keeps out leaves, dirt etc
Also, I found that the 2-toned beeps such as bob-white or hawk scream are easier for me to locate than the monotone beep. I use a bell and beeper on point-mode. I don't find grouse running any more or less than when I ran a bell-only.
AH tape that sounds like it would work I know the beeper I had gave me a headache 40 yrds away so I don't think the dog was liking it

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Rod W wrote:I had the privilege of hunting with Northern Cajun, this Jan. He can remotely activate his collars and only turn it on when the dog hasn't been seen for a while/ possibly on point? He then turns the collar on, which always would sound off, His dog Indy, if unseen for a while, would be on point!!!! Thanks for the lessons NC.[quote="northern cajunThats how I do it as well.
[/quote]

Me too. I can't stand those beepers that go off every .... seconds.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett